cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrade queen bed in slide?

Jrowland74
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! This is my first post here. My wife and I have been planning to buy a fifth wheel rv to take the kids (ages 4&6 and home-schooled) full timing for a while. We are very close to making the dream come true but we are having trouble deciding on an rv. We really like the mid bunk feature of the Coachmen Chaparral 360IBL. The only thing we would really want to change is the bed. It is a queen bed on a slide. Is it possible to upgrade this to a king? We are thinking just swap the bed and dresser so the dresser is in the slide and the bed is on the opposite wall. Does this sound realistic?
5 REPLIES 5

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of ordering the Coachmen Brookstone 395RL. Same basic layout as the Chaparral, which we also considered.. I don't think it would work to move the bed. It would be a tight fit getting in the door and around the bed. The closets aren't really an issue as they slide. Fairly tight bedroom though. Layout is very nice for the trailer.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

Jrowland74
Explorer
Explorer
That what we were afraid of. We are hoping to find a used one, but my wife loves this floorplan. We might just have to go with the queen bed.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The mattresses in 5th wheel sit on top of a built in platform with storage under the mattress

The KING is an OPTION that would have to be ordered at time of build due to changes needed in platform/bed support and shelving in slideout.

All of the Chaparral 5th wheels can be ordered with the KING option EXCEPT for the 360 floorplan
Slide out in 360 will only accommodate a QUEEN (other sideouts are king sized whether they have queen or king mattress)

See floorplans/features etc. HERE
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Jrowland74
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Thanks for the quick response. We have not yet seen it in person. This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for before going out and shopping in person. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

We really like the mid bunk setup because my wife is worried about the kids falling out of bed. They both currently sleep in full size beds and move around a lot. The youngest has recently begun sleepwalking, so having the bedrooms on opposite ends is not preferred.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
It would take a close inspection of the RV in person to have any certainty in answering your question.

I think it might not be a practical modification for a few reasons, though. First, and perhaps most significantly, I suspect putting a king size bed in that side of the bedroom might block the closet doors from opening, and would almost certainly make it very tight to walk around and access anything.

Second, there's a quite good chance that the slide mechanism is contained within the bed itself, and is not underneath the floor.

Third, but perhaps the least concerning, there may be some difficulty involved in piecing together the floor such that the sliding part is narrower than it originally was.

Personally, I don't care for the design of this particular bunk arrangement. It looks very hard to access and make, with the only entrance being at the foot (or, I suppose, the head) of the bed. However, that's hardly relevant to your decision, and I'm sure most young children would be thrilled with the arrangement even if the people taking care of them think otherwise.