cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Few mods/accs (DIY) in my Sportsmen 16BH (LOT PICS!)

vlopddap
Explorer
Explorer
Here's MANY pics of a few mods (DIY) and accessories I put so far on my 2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 16BH. Hope you'll enjoy the pictures! I also include some prices for people who wondering about... :B

1) 4-bikes gooseneck rack (60$ @ Costco) w/ Swagman hitch tube (35$ @ Camping World).

2) DIY "Save-A-Step" (Camco) adjustable step support. I used an adjustable deck support and cut the "U" bracket with a hand buffer. The Camco price is 15$ when the deck support is 2$ in any hardware store. It's completely height adjustable too. Very nice improvement, completely stops the trailer sway when you get inside! (2$ @ hardware store)

3) Camco water splitter with exterior faucet... because I don't have an outside shower on the RV, it's very useful!! It's pretty cute too... (10$ @ Amazon)

4) Wine glass holder... awesome looking! (5$ @ Camping World)

5) Custom wood panel over the stove. We never use stove and it's a lost of countertop space. I build my own wood panel that cover stove. After 5 coats of varnish it's pretty clean and so useful. We don't use it as cutting board since it's soft wood (pine tree). (15$ wood panel @ lumber store).

6) Vortex fan upgrade and Camco shower head. I have the Vortex fan upgrade in the bathroom and this thing is incredible. It's so powerful than the bathroom door close violently by itself! It's single speed and pretty noisy, but so much useful!! I also replace the crappy factory shower head by the Camco premium shower head, very nice improvement. (?$ Vortex fan & 12$ shower head @ Amazon).

7) 19 inch LED TVA with 3-way adjustable desk mount arm! I modify a clamp desk mount stand for computer monitor to mount by LED TV inside the RV and have the full 3-way adjustment and storage position right flush to the wall. Very nice! (monitor mount 25$ @ Monoprice & RCA LED TV 99$ @ Walmart)

๐Ÿ˜Ž Camco screen door pull bar and Camco quick open knob. (10$ pull bar & 5$ knob @ Amazon)

9) Upgraded dome lights EVERYWHERE with 24x SMD 5050 LED panel in cool white (6000K) with BA15S (1156) socket adapter. I love the very bright blueish color of those LED! Moreover less power and a lot less heat! In the bathroom I used a 48x SMS 5050 LED since I only have a single socket dome light. This thing is INCREDIBLY bright!! I also use the same 48X LED panel for outside patio light. (2$ ea 24x LED panels & 4$ ea 48X LED @ eBay).

10) Residential chrome kitchen faucet... because the factory one are crappy and always leak since first day!! Everything is residential stuff compatible BTW; hoses threads, holes in the countertop, etc. Took 15 minutes to install. Nice look too. (30$ hardware store)

11) My sister (who's a dressmaker) make me some incredible "black-out" windows curtain to replace the metal windows blind who leaves light to enter at 5:00 AM! Those curtain are so black you can't sleep at noon like midnight! She also make me a roof vent shade and a door shade in the same fabric. They are held with industrial velcro! One of the best upgrade to keep kids sleeping 'till 9 AM instead of 5 AM!! This fabric is VERY expensive unfortunately (100$ for fabric & 0$ labor).

It's everything for now! LOL... more to come later!

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

2016 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Plus
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 16BH
11 REPLIES 11

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the water splitter too, they come in very handy!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Nice mods, but as others pointed out, if you're supporting the bike rack with only u-bolts around the square bumper, the bumper will eventually crack and the bikes and rack will fall off. The bumpers are basically thin sheet metal that flex back and forth like a beer can. I installed a similar bike rack on my old trailer but had a welding buddy fabricate a receiver that mounted off the frame of the trailer.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

vlopddap
Explorer
Explorer
Et voila! Custom made (handsewn) retaining safety strap for the TV.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
x4 four on the bumper mount rack. The bumper material itself is very weak metal. I've seen one that physically tore the bumper on it's way apart. of course, it's all about how many/heavy your bikes are. One bike would probably be OK. Four 50# bikes is another story.

My bumper has the spare on it, but it doesn't have near the leverage that a bike rack has when bikes are on it.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good stuff. I've almost come up with a screen door knob solution, but this one is better. Had a trouble finding this knob on Amazon, then realized that they call it "screen door opener", not a "knob".

vlopddap
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Great descriptions/pics, and this do-it-yourselfer especially appreciates the included pricing- thanks!

Question about the 4-bike rack add-on:

I see a "warning label" in the pic of the receiver but can't quite read it- seems to be about what bumpers it can go on etc. And I know some bike racks carry similar warnings, usually relating to use on trailer bumpers. Question being, what sort of reinforcing (if any) did you have to do to the bumper in order to prevent the dread "load of bikes in the road" we sometimes read about here?

Hi Francesca!

The warning label just say : "not intended for towing a trailer, for bike rack installation only". :W

I don't put any reinforcement to the bumper yet, but it seem than many peoples are very concerned about this here. Nevertheless my father-in-law carry two heavy bikes without any reinforcement for over 2 years now without any problem. But I'll ask my friend who's a machinist-welder what he think about this setup for sure.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
BTW, I especially like the screen door handle. Is that handle made for that or is it re-purposed form something else?

Oops, never mind - I see you got it at Amazon.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I strongly suggest you return the rack and get a Swagman brand carrier. They are designed for RV use. The one you have will break at the hinge point.
Also you need to reinforce the bumper by adding some angle iron that spans from under the frame and continues under the bumper. This will prevent the bumper from pulling downward.

Here's a pic of mine, the new angle iron is cut off at a 45 degree angle. It doesn't take much to make the bumper much stronger.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Many great things...

But you may want to re-consider the bike rack. Those U-Bolt setups are notorious for breaking the bumper tube. The bikes will eventually fall backward and drag on the ground when it goes. IMHO the only way to do a rear rack is to add a rear receiver hitch tied to the frame.

Good Luck...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Great descriptions/pics, and this do-it-yourselfer especially appreciates the included pricing- thanks!

Question about the 4-bike rack add-on:

I see a "warning label" in the pic of the receiver but can't quite read it- seems to be about what bumpers it can go on etc. And I know some bike racks carry similar warnings, usually relating to use on trailer bumpers. Question being, what sort of reinforcing (if any) did you have to do to the bumper in order to prevent the dread "load of bikes in the road" we sometimes read about here?
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

RVNDC
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great! Love the curtains and LED lights. Nice job.