cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I wish!

Tom_Mary_Lou
Explorer
Explorer
I wish RVs were built in a way that more ordinary things fit into them. Trying to make over a closet to hold pull out drawers has stumped us. Short of having them custom made everything out there is either way too big to fit or just a smidge too big which is even worse. So frustrating!
Tom & Mary Lou
'03 Dodge 2500, Q/cab,SB, 5.7 hemi
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS
6 REPLIES 6

DAWg134
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good experiences using a West Coast drawer manufacturer to build custom size drawer boxes. There are also a couple of suppliers on the East Coast that do the same thing for approximately the same price.

Drawer Box Systems, Inc.

The price is comparable to purchasing ready-made. Both construction quality and materials are top-notch - solid maple wood, dovetail construction, plywood bottoms for about $25 per drawer, delivered, assembled, and finished with two-part clear epoxy coating. I briefly considered building them myself, but when I priced out the maple, it would've cost me over $300 for the lumber alone versus $220 to have all seven drawers built.

Naturally, price varies somewhat with both width, height, and depth. There are also many design and construction options from which to choose (e.g., cutouts, rounded top, bottom inset, etc.), most of which do not affect price. DBS is set up primarily for building custom drawers for furniture manufacturers, so figuring out how/what to order may seem a bit daunting. Also, you have to set up an account with them before you can order. This may take 2-3 days before you're approved - longer than it took them to actually build me the boxes (less than two days).

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
Depending on what you're trying to store in the shelves, try a hanging sweater rack.

I use the hanging shoe rack in mine. It works great to store stuff without giving up all the closet height. I store shoes, tie out cables, etc. in it. Nothing has fallen out because it fits the closet perfectly depth-wise. And no worries about whether I can open a drawer.

X2 on the hanging sweater rack. We use one on each side of the bed. Great for socks, undies, t-shirts, etc. Our hanging rack has a shelf that has a soft drawer that slides into it as well. We use that for doo-dads and small items. Since our bed and cabinets are at the front, there is room at the bottom of the cabinet behind the handing sweater rack and we can store seldom-used stuff back there.

geotex1
Explorer
Explorer
If you'd like a source of nicely constructed drawer/pantry slides made to any size you need, order with confidence from

http://www.shelvesthatslide.com/sliding_shelves.htm

Because of work commitments, I didn't have time to build them myself for our new camper (put them in the pantry, in a double pots/pans/dishes cabinet, under the island sink cabinet, and also took advantage of the dead space under our range (just waiting on a pre-finished drawer from from my manufacturer). Anyway, prices were great and the trick is to order everything you need in one shot because there's greater discount in shipping for larger orders. They are well-built, and ship pretty quickly! The packaging was awesome!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the plastic stackable drawers in my closet on 1 side, 3 high. Shorter items hand above that and longer stuff on the other side. One drawer has socks, the other underwear and the last sleepwear. The ones I have are maybe 10 in wide but 6 in or so deep. They free up 1 dresser drawer than can be used for other things. They come in all sizes.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depending on what you're trying to store in the shelves, try a hanging sweater rack.

I use the hanging shoe rack in mine. It works great to store stuff without giving up all the closet height. I store shoes, tie out cables, etc. in it. Nothing has fallen out because it fits the closet perfectly depth-wise. And no worries about whether I can open a drawer.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I have a closet on either side of my bed, that will fit a 12" wide drawer in it. I find that I can only fit a few outfits in the three pull out plastic drawers, much less than will fit without the drawers in the way.

I would say forget about it.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com