cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ideas re. best way to transport motorcycle

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
We would appreciate advice re. best way to transport a motorcycle...it's fairly small, with a full-up weight of just under 600 pounds...

options we've considered...
1.) back of pickup...downside is the loading and unloading scares me to pieces--several hundred pounds, up and down a skinny, steep ramp...nightmares about the thing going over the side of the ramp, with possibly me underneath it...upside is minimal expense and nothing to buy or deal with other than a ramp

2.) get or have constructed a small utility trailer and double-tow behind the TT...upside is low ramp and basically no engineering concerns...downside is it would be a hassle because the motorcycle would have to come off the trailer and then the trailer would have to be unhooked and hand-pushed out of the way before backing the RV rig into a site..other downside would be need to have a hitch welded to the trailer frame and get the TT wiring jiggered such that it could run the lights on the double-tow

3.) have a small platform welded to the TT frame...would allow the motorcycle to be loaded from the side of the trailer...upside is compact, out of the way and pretty much hassle free....downside is, if not done right, the thing breaks loose, dumping the bike and endangering everyone following us

A small toy hauler would be ideal, but that's not in the cards for the time being...

Would appreciate input, especially from those who have faced and solved this issue...

thanks!
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
27 REPLIES 27

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
can't remember the name
its a wheeled platform extension for the back of rv or tt
it's not another trailer,there is no pivotal hitch point
it mounts with to or three arms , the wheels piot and have suspension to allow the platform to stay level while the wheels tke the bumps

the weight is on the extra wheels not on the rf frame

Sounds like the Swivel Wheel Trailer - some states still class these as trailers even though they are a solid connection to the towing vehicle. I had looked into getting one of these to tow my cruiser behind a fifth wheel - we ended up trading the fifth wheel in on a Class A ...
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Just Curious, Highbeam; what motorcycle do you have?
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

Highbeam
Explorer
Explorer
You just need better ramps and I have to laugh when you call a 600# motorcyle "fairly small". Mine is under 300 lbs and I've been on interstates with it.

Another thing with ramps and big heavy cruisers is that the bike has low ground clearance so you may high center on the back edge of the truck as you go up the ramp.

If the bike is too big for ramps then you must use a toyhauler or use a separate truck trailer combo for the bike. You need to be confident in your ability to load.
2000 F350 diesel crew SRW 4x4
2012 Creekside ORV 26BH

MrWizard
can't remember the name
its a wheeled platform extension for the back of rv or tt
it's not another trailer,there is no pivotal hitch point
it mounts with to or three arms , the wheels piot and have suspension to allow the platform to stay level while the wheels tke the bumps

the weight is on the extra wheels not on the rf frame
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We pull a utility trailer with the XT 350, moped and now will have a 1957 Simplex that hubby just is finishing rebuilding from boxes of parts. We already have a Honda 750 stored at my sisters -- going to have to get rid of some pretty soon so he has room for whatever the next project is. Too many for a lift. We are in a motorhome though, so don't have a problem with the tow weight.(yet)

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Get a wide ramp and ride the bike up.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
I put a front hitch on my X, got an aluminium carrier, and mount a Yamaha XT225 on the front of the X. Powerful enough for everything but interstate travel.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
That Cruiser Caddie really looks like the cats meow! Great idea.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Check out "Cruisercaddie". They cost $1850 plus shipping from PA. They work better then a Rampage lift and are easily removable. I started out buying a manual ramp for my bike and didn't even try it, it was so scary. Then I would go to a Harley dealers and use their lift. But when we were in Sturgis, the dealer was swamped sdo had to back the truck up to a hill and use 2ea 2x8's. Very scary. Then bought an Overbiltlift for the back of the MH. Then bought a Rampage and now own a Cruisercaddie.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs? thanks for the advice...i was focused on the 'how would you fabricate and attach it so it won't break' issue...the 'tongue weight' concern hadn't crossed my mind....makes sense....scratch that option
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

stein4
Explorer
Explorer
maybe you can find some type of loading dock nearby to load in truck

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
pickup bed seems like the only reasonable option. I can haul a 250lb bike on the back of my trailer on my custom built rear bumper and bike carrier, but 250lbs is about the limit I can handle w/o reducing my tongue weight and I started with over 15% on the tongue. I can't image any way to safely put 600lbs on the back of the trailer without seriously unloading the tongue and ending up with a big sway issue even if oould build a platform capable of holding it.
Usually the bikes end up in the back of the truck bed, to me the easiest to handle, easiest to watch and most secure.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

David_R
Explorer
Explorer
I think mounting to the rear of the trailer should be your last choice. That is a lot to hang back there with an excess of vibration and bouncing; bad for your TT and the bike. Spending the money for one of the bed loaders is probably the safest and worth the investment.
2007 BT Cruiser 5231
2002 Heritage Softail Classic