cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Install vinyl floor planks

grandma-di
Explorer
Explorer
I HATE the light colored carpet in our fifth wheel. I would like to pull the carpet out and replace it with vinyl wood looking planks. When our slide is fully extended it is level with the trailer floor and is not raised like some I've seen. Would the vinyl planks work on our floor? Has anyone else tried this with a level slide out?
15 REPLIES 15

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for that thought. Do you think it is practical to replace the carpet with vinyl or would it be exchanging one problem for another?
I use these Slickers. They have worked well for me.
I am very happy with the vinyl flooring versus the old carpet. Easier to keep clean, and rugs stay in place.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

grandma-di
Explorer
Explorer
I had already decided not to use the allure with the adhesive edge, just didn't think it would stay stuck and then screw up the slide totally. Thinking of leaving the carpet on the slide, maybe replacing with a darker color, and just doing the area from the door and through to the rear kitchen. I think there would be fewer problems that way but the area that is used the most would be easier to keep clean.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
grandma-di wrote:
Thank you for that thought. Do you think it is practical to replace the carpet with vinyl or would it be exchanging one problem for another?

It is certainly done all the time, but needs to be done right with attention to the slide areas. My new trailer has the wood look vinyl floor (sheet material) that I mentioned above, but has carpet under the slide. You can see a strip of carpet about 8" wide when the slide is out.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
grandma-di wrote:
Thank you Ron3rd, am actually looking at the snap and lock planks. So glad to see so many that have already used this type of installation.

The snap and lock works better for extreme temp swings. Regular Allur has a peel off strip with adhesive, sort of like a "tongue" that slips under the plank next to it. This type is the one that has had reports of separation in extreme temp swing areas.

I had this problem with the Allure flooring I used with the adhesive edge.

:S

A confirmed snap and lock fan now.
:B
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

grandma-di
Explorer
Explorer

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a slide out that uses teflon runners over the original carpet, make sure you get some protection for the vinyl flooring. They can easily scratch the vinyl when any sand or other abrasive dirt gets under them.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
grandma-di wrote:
Thank you Ron3rd, am actually looking at the snap and lock planks. So glad to see so many that have already used this type of installation.

The snap and lock works better for extreme temp swings. Regular Allur has a peel off strip with adhesive, sort of like a "tongue" that slips under the plank next to it. This type is the one that has had reports of separation in extreme temp swing areas. Our new trailer came with a "wood look" sheet flooring product called Beauflor that we really like. At first we thought it was plank flooring.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

grandma-di
Explorer
Explorer

grandma-di
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry my response to your post did not come out the way I intended. I meant to say that like you I don't think carpet should be installed in trailers. It really aggravates my allergies.

grandma-di
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your response. You make some valid points to consider and like you carpeting has no place in a trailer, even a high end trailer. Thanks for your great insight.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots have done it, including myself, Just be aware that temperature extremes can lead to problems. Some people even had vinyl sheet flooring develop tears from the extended low temps last winter. Allure actually says it should not be used in spaces like sunrooms.

Only use interlocking laminate and it needs to be freely floating throughout, including at a toilet, door sill, table leg flanges, etc. Otherwise, you may, or will, get planks pulling apart. You should allow an adequate gap all around and will need to hide it with a piece of molding. I ripped 3/8" thick by about 1" high wood and used stained oak under cabinets and painted wood elsewhere. Do not glue down any flooring.

It's very important to allow for contraction and expansion, summer to winter. I had the laminate pull apart in one spot because I had the perimeter gap a bit too tight in one spot. I pulled the baseboard off and trimmed the laminate some more and that solved it.

Interlocking vinyl laminate is quite thin. I'm about to install some in our house which is 4mm thick (about 5/32"). If you ask me, carpet in an RV isn't the greatest flooring material to use because of all the dirt and debris that gets tracked in.

If there's one thing I learned from installing laminate in our TT (a previous one), is that it can be hard on the back and knees because you end up working in tight spaces and the majority of planks need to be cut, unlike in a house. You will also likely find that some walls and cabinets are not square and in straight lines. I had to scribe a lot of pieces to get them to fit.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vinyl planks are a very popular mod for trailers. Lots of brands out there and they all work. The Alure brand has been referred to here many times and available at home centers. They break down into two categories; snap and lock and the type with the adhesive edge.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

grandma-di
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your posting. I'm getting closer to just doing it.

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, go with Armstrong Lux.Plank...