cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing a larger Water heater 5th Wheel

Fire19
Explorer
Explorer
I have a suburban SW6de in our 5th wheel and it needs to be replaced I think the Porcelain liner is shot because it it sets for a week I get rusty water. Last fall when putting away I had Blue flecks coming out when I rinsed.. I was looking into upgrading to SW12DE heater I know the opening is bigger and I can make that happen and I have the space. When I called about the water Heater they stated you should go to the 16 gallon for only $75.00 more fits in the same opening as a 10-12 gallon. So my Question is it worth it to have 4 more Gallons??
2000 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab
2002 Gulfstream Seahawk 29FKS
1998 GL1500SE
6 REPLIES 6

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
kellertx5er wrote:
the bear II wrote:
You might want to look at one of the new tankless type RV water heaters. Truma is one brand.

https://www.facebook.com/Truma-US-718321218279863/

Or you could install the 12/16 gallon Suburban and actually take hot showers.

Have you owned and used a Truma?
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
You might want to look at one of the new tankless type RV water heaters. Truma is one brand.

Or you could install the 12/16 gallon Suburban and actually take hot showers.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tankless won't operate on 120 volts at this time. I'd go for the larger tank with electric and propane.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that while the Suburban 12 and 16 gallon heaters both fit in the same 16"x16" opening, the 12 gallon is 22" deep and the 16 gallon is 27" inches deep. Make sure you have the clearance for it before ordering.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
when we had the rv dealership they tried to get us to sell the tank less units. they said everyone wanted them. we could not understand that hype talk at all. if everyone wanted them why are they not put into the new rv's on the lot. turns out it was all talk and I'm glad we did not stock any of them. not once while we were there did someone come in and order a new tank less unit. it the space is large enough for a 1 go for it. we had 6 or us showering on a 12 gallon and using electric and gas to heat the water we all had hot showers. plus I like to a nice long hot shower, worked for us. this by the way was in full hookup campgrounds, boondocking is another story

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer