Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter installation and automatic transfer switch

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
Need help!

2016 Lance 1172

I'm in the planning stages of purchasing and figuring out installation of a 2500 watts inverter.

I would like to install inverter 120v to camper 120v panel. However, camper has an existing automatic transfer switch...can the inverter be connect to the ATS and if yes, which feed shore or generator?

PS/ I realize that I'm restricted on amperage...I will only be using 120v for TVs, Directv receivers or charging phones and lap tops. Maybe once in a while a coffeemaker or MW.

Thank you in advance!

Carlos
'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Kids: 4,8, 9 & twins 28
Patient wife
32 REPLIES 32

MrWizard
any reason
NOT to put a RV female plug attached to the inverter
and simply plug the shore power cord into the inverter
lots of people have done it this way
saves a whole lot of wiring hassles

you still have to make sure the converter is turned off and WH and fridge are on Manual LP, NOT auto mode
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
2000w is plenty. 300w is plenty for tv, direct, phone, laptops, dvd.
Sine wave is best with MW and CM electronic controls.
Best to have 4+ batteries to drive 2000w.
Transfer switch can be installed in sequence with existing.
Don't forget the LED lights and 200+ watts solar ๐Ÿ˜‰

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you feed the panel directly, you'll have to remember to turn off the converter, set the fridge for propane vs. AC usage, turn off any electric water heater element, etc. I think it would be better to have a transfer switch just for selected circuits so that you have fewer things to remember.

However, it would be possible to wire it as though it were a generator and use the transfer switch you have as it is. The inverter would have a time delay before the transfer switch switches, and there would be a minor load from the transfer switch relay coil. This gives the inverter priority over the shore power connection. (It would also be possible to reverse the connections and make the shore power have priority; I'm not sure there's much of an advantage to either setup.)

For just TVs and chargers and such, you could get by with a much smaller inverter, and consequently lighter wiring to the batteries. If you have only one or two batteries, you'd be very limited in how much full power use you could get out of the big inverter. The coffee maker and microwave require a lot more power than the electronics.