Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level rite style airbag question

Blue_Hill
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,
I've recently run across some information on DIY leveling airbags and I think I'm going to make myself a set. When I went looking for a source for the hose required to make the airbags, I found that most suppliers seem to have a minimum order of 4 to 6 feet, depending on where you look. This got me to thinking (a dangerous thing :)) is there any reason why if I need to buy 6 feet anyway, I shouldn't just build 1 airbag, long enough to lift both wheels? No worries about equal pressure on two airbags, only requiring a single set of hardware etc. Can any of you folks who have built these and use them shed some light on this for me? Thanks a TON!
Larry
2011 Gulfstream Streamlite Sport 25TSS
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Honda EU3000IS
3 REPLIES 3

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems to me that it should work out OK. You'd need a lot more air to inflate the big bag, which probably would be somewhat of a drag in practice.

I'm not sure it's really essential to have precisely equal pressures on both bags; any difference would be like parking with one wheel a little higher or lower than the other due to uneven ground, and the trailer suspension would take up the difference without problems. I'd think eyeballing it to be about even would be sufficient. I do not speak from personal experience, however.

Blue_Hill
Explorer
Explorer
I've read where some folks fill both bags at the same time with a single "Y" type hose. Hmmm...
2011 Gulfstream Streamlite Sport 25TSS
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Honda EU3000IS

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Just a guess, but if you only use one bag it would be harder to control. IE all the air would go to the side with the lower wheel weight. It might want to rock back and forth between the front and rear axle. Fill a zip-lock bag with water and play with it. You'll get the idea. I believe you will find you need separate control/bag for each wheel.

Just to be clear here. Are you making air bags to go under trailer tires to level the camper or making your own air bags for suspension on your truck? If talking about air bags on your truck I have no comment.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.