cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare tire holder ideas

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I need to install a spare tire holder. I have a welder and some steel so could fabricate something, not against buying one off-the-shelf, either. Where is the best place to mount such a thing? Looking for good ideas on this.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton
14 REPLIES 14

DennisG9
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:
I use a belt or suspenders for my spare tire. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Must have a case of Dunlap disease. . . .

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the BAL last summer. It an was easy job.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'll have to get under the Hilton and see what I have for clearances to see if mounting something underneath is even possible. I;m thinking "yes", since the frame is 5", IIRC. The belly pan is above the frame rails so a wheel may only be 3" below the frame.

Yeah, for as many times as I've just looked at my truck spare carrier, I should probably just pull it off and use that. I know if I did it, I'd have a flat with the truck in no time. My luck runs like that.

The bumper mount is probably the most accessible, like mentioned. If the covers are less than $25 for a decent one, that's not a deal breaker. I can make a carrier very similar in an afternoon, I'm thinking. I'd end up with a heavier duty one, probably. Maybe I should just break out the steel and incorporate the extra battery box I have. I was thinking about moumting it back there but that's a lot of weight to add on the rear--130 lbs. Anybody want to tr tell me not to do that?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got the BAL hide-a-spare carrier for Xmas. Have not installed yet due to weather. Looks decent and well made. Interesting, they (RVupgrades.com IIRC) shipped it unwrapped except for the ends. I expected at least a few scratches but it's fine. (I thought everything needed to be fully wrapped except for tires.)

I've now seen 3 or so different TT manufacturers with a spare tire carrier in the A-frame. Maybe it's possible to order the parts from a dealer?

Some have gone to a pick-n-pull and taken the tire carrier out of a pickup and adapted that to work. Don't recall seeing any pics tho.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Westend,

The carrier I mentioned above was $32. The cover mentioned below is about $13. I'm using both items & the cover has been on for over a year now without any problems.

I'm 66 & no way am I going to crawl under the trailer, to get to the spare.

The BAL idea looks interesting, but your TT appears to already be fairly low to the ground.

SPARE TIRE COVER
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
If you mount anything under anyplace, make sure you can still access it when you have a flat and are parked on a dirt shoulder somewhere.

Access in the driveway when both tires are holding up the trailer is not a good test.

Another thought, I prefer a bolt on carrier. Welding is hard to change and move or remove at a later time.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
I relocated the rear bumper mounted spare to under the TT between the axles and tongue. I used a Chevy spare tire crankdown ass'y and bolted it to some crossmembers between the frame rails. I could drop it/nest it just like I would on my tow truck (Chevy 3500) using the same crank that was supplied with my truck. Luckily, I never had to test it under flat tire conditions, but in the driveway it worked fine. The move also helped offset the weight the rear tote basket added.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Good ideas. guys, keep 'em coming!

I don't have any room on the tongue, the storage box and tanks take up all the space. The rear bumper is pretty strong, I would just need to detach the sewer hose holder I have bolted to the top, at present. The thing I dislike about those bumper mount holders is that I would almost have to have a spare tire cover and besides the additional expense, I'm wary of their durability.
The Bal type underbelly carrier has some merit, I'll have to do some measuring and see if I can use something like that.

I'd be interested in other options if anyone knows one.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I am on tne verge of ordering the BAL spare tire carrier to mount to the frame under the trailer. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a little, my old bones just don't like lying down on the cold damp ground. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I use a belt or suspenders for my spare tire. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I might be tempted to rig something up on the tongue if there's room there. Since that's not an unheard of place for spare tires for trailers, there's a good chance some off-the-shelf holders would fit or could be made to fit fairly easily. There might not be sufficient room, though, while still giving proper access to the LP bottles and the jack.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
THIS is the one I use. I mounted it to the rear TT bumper. It swings down & out of the way, so I can access my rear cargo door. I suspect your TT has a pretty strong rear bumper & may not need any additional support, but it's worth checking.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would look into something like this. Your trailer sites pretty close to the ground in the photos of one on the net.
You would need to check your rear trailer bumper to make sure it stout enough to handle the weight. Option would be to add a structural member between the bumper and rig between the frame rails.
Tire carrier

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bg71361
Explorer
Explorer