cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LVP FLOORING??

Crazyatvrider36
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Weekend Warrior toy hauler. I had some soft spots in the flooring I had to fix due to the water heater that started leaking. Also the existing vinyl started cracking. So I replaced the flooring with plywood and am trying to decide what flooring to put back down. Currently we had linoleum just in a smaller area up front in the bathroom, hall and kitchen. The main rear is just osb and we layout the carpet when we aren't hauling anything. I like the look of the newer toy haulers where it looks like they use vinyl or linoleum through out the whole thing, just wasn't sure how well it held up driving the toys in. We carry 3 to 4 four wheelers and I usually turn them sideways to fit them in. I've talked to a couple local flooring stores and they both recommended the luxury vinyl plank flooring (LVP) and glue it down with pressure sensitive glue. Then if I ruin a plank I will just pull it up and put in a new one. Similar to how carpet squares are put down. They said I would have to use a floor patch to level and also so the glue would stick to the osb. So I'm kinda on the fence as I should just do that for the front end like it was and try it out, or go for the newer look and lay it through the whole thing and get the newer look I want. I'm just concerned about 4 wheelers causing problems, or seams separating due to driving on them or expansion from the extreme hot and cold when it's sitting. I like the idea that if I do have a problem I just keep extra and put a new piece down. This stuff seems to be relatively new and the flooring guys seem to think it's the best way to go and should hold up very well. Has anyone else done this or does anyone have any suggestions???
12 REPLIES 12

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
Yes.With the proper trowel size and proper prep.
2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

Crazyatvrider36
Explorer
Explorer
So is the pressure sensitive glue a good application here?

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately no flooring manufacturer will warranty a floor in a rv.Flooring Stores might.
And every floating will expand and contract in different weather climates.
Glue down is the best in my opinion.
If done right with the properation installation
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning to replace the flooring in my trailer also. How do these products respond to the extreme temperature ranges of storage, -20F to 100+F? Are any better than others? Is it better to glue down for that reason or will the floating installation work as well?

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
I only use a Portland base patch/leveler.Bonds very good.There are self priming additives for the leveler that works together.And bond's very well.
Being in a very cold climate's I also use
The patch additive.
There are a lot of products out there.I usually use TEC. Or DAP. Products.
If you decide to go with a vct it would need to be sealed a polish to look good
But no matter what products you may choose it does scratch and will need maintaining
I personally like the vinyl plank tiles
Did a few toy haulers and was impressed how good it still looks and my customers are pleased how it holds up
But that all up to you and just giving my opinion .
Been doing floors for 30 years now .
And seen a lot of good and bad
Good luck with your project
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Crazyatvrider36 wrote:
Definitely the vinyl planks recommended do not interlock, they just butt together so could replace one in the middle if needed. What floor patch or leveler would you guys recommend? Also, would you guys recommend priming the osb first as an additional safe guard or would the patch stick if I did that? Also think I would have any issues with the four wheelers on it maybe some scuff marks?

(Westend)- what heavy vinyl squares do you recommend?
You can seal the OSB if you wish. I'd recommend a thinned finish varnish.

There are a variety of patch and floor leveling products, from organic stuff you can buy in a round can to polymers made for this, they are sold at the big-box stores. I'd recommend to buy powder products and not the premixed stuff in small containers. The powdered products mixed with water trowel easy and there is good bonding with the substrate.

I linked to the Armstrong Commercial Flooring site in my previous post. That was to convey the idea of what a vinyl composite can do. THere are other vendors of similar products, like the coin type flooring that I've laid down in squares with no interlocking edges.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Crazyatvrider36
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely the vinyl planks recommended do not interlock, they just butt together so could replace one in the middle if needed. What floor patch or leveler would you guys recommend? Also, would you guys recommend priming the osb first as an additional safe guard or would the patch stick if I did that? Also think I would have any issues with the four wheelers on it maybe some scuff marks?

(Westend)- what heavy vinyl squares do you recommend?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, get your new plywood or stock OSB leveled and filled, every screw and nail hole, every seam. I had one guy I worked with that it cost one beer for every missed spot.

Choice of flooring is on you but if it was me, I'd choose and suggest to use these heavy vinyl squares (a glue down procedure). THey are used at Disney World entrance areas. I've installed them in car dealerships and residences. Since they are cut-to-fit squares, they are easier for the DIY installer to install.

Vinyl composition floor tiles
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed thousands of feet of the lvp.And yes there are several types
As mentioned glue direct and floating.
95 % of Glue direct has no lip to interlock.
And I have put a lot in rvs.You would want to skim coat the floor with a leverler.If floors are bad you can install a cheap 1/8 or 1/4 inch subfloor.
Vinyl plank's will scratch don't let anyoNE tell you otherwise.But can be replaced fairly easily.
I have had better luck with vinyl tiles
(Not those self stick junk or vct tiles)
Goes down with the same method as LVP
But more durable.Various sizes too.
Can be grouted with epoxy grout or but them together and seal it.Looks real good and some have nice pattern to them and textures .Look at them at the floor store
What ever you choose make sure you DON'T
PUT the tiles or lvp down until the glue is almost clear or tacky .
Other wise glue will come up through the seams
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

tred0956
Explorer
Explorer
There are 2 types of vinyl floors being discussed here. One is the click together style that is designed to be a floating floor and is not meant to be glued down. If you want to replace a section, you pretty well have to take the floor apart. The other type is glue down that is not click together. A section can be fairly easily replaced by using a heat gun to release the glue. I have experience with both types in house renovations, and I much prefer the glue down type. Waterproof, durable and easy to clean, this type would be my recommendation.

MrWizard
Imo the leveling glue does three things
It seals the osb
It gives a smooth surface for the contact adhesive
It prevents the osb from being pulled up if you remove planks

Planks are Not made to be replaceable, not if they interlock
Use a one sheet product, or squares that can be removed and replaced
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

sprintstream
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of points. I've never heard of anyone ever recommending putting glue down flooring over OSB. Ever. Also the planks are interlocking and are not intended for easy replacement. Sheet goods are the best bet in my opinion. The high end goods are crazy tough and can float and be secured around the edges. Also with the vehicles there is no seam for drips and water to get into your substrate. OSB does not like water.
Was living the dream in the Ozarks
Now just living