cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mounting solar panels on a curved roof

JRRNeiklot
Explorer
Explorer
I need to mount two panels on the roof of my travel trailer. The roof is curved which means the Z brackets I have will present a problem. Anyone know of a source for cheap brackets that I can elevate the panels with or know of an alternate solution? AM solar sells rocker feet, but that will set me back another $100.

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't worry about panels being sloped to the "wrong" side, i.e. away from the sun. It's only few degrees, hardly will make a difference even if they all slope away from the sun. The rear panel on my trailer slopes to the side and also to rearward, same as the roof - I didn't find necessary to "correct" this.

Remember - there is no such thing as too much solar. Oversize your system right now (compared to what you "think" you need). It will be difficult, less efficient and expensive to do this later.

MrWizard
Most of us use angle aluminum
You can cut some to make straight flats to extend the lift side higher
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
My roof is also slightly curved so I made brackets myself from L shaped aluminum bars..
Also used stainles steel door hinges bolted onto each panel,two on each side,so I can raise the panel up to 45 degrees.,
Sorry have no pics,but if you search this site for solar instal there are many instalations with photos,,

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine too are flat mounted with some sacrifice on Winnie's curved roof. Hasn't really mattered much.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
As Almot mentioned, perfectly flat will cause issues with moisture. Rain, morning dew, the morning frost as it melts off etc. Moisture will cause puddles on your panels that will have considerably more of a negative impact on power production than I think most people expect. I've currently got six 100 watt panels on my 5er roof. I made my own brackets out of two pieces of L aluminum stock bolted together for each bracket. The back of the trailer where some of the panels are mounted has both the rounded curve, and a downward slope towards the rear of the trailer. I made the bracket length so that the rearward slope is removed, but kept the curved roof slope for water runoff.

I have 3 panels on both sides of the roof so half are generally somewhat more optimized towards the sun than the other three. It's a compromise, but anything other than auto tracking panels are a compromise, and tracking units aren't really a viable option on an RV.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRRNeiklot wrote:
The roof is curved which means the Z brackets I have will present a problem.

No they won't.
So called "flat" install implies panel conforming to the roof curve rather than having panel perfectly aligned horizontally. Panel MUST have a few degrees slope to drain rain water and dust.

You might have a problem though if your Z-brackets are not height-adjustable or don't let you adjust them to your liking. Make your own as suggested by others, - each bracket of 2 pieces of aluminum angle bolted together to make a Z.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should be able to make long and short L-brackets that will accommodate most any curved roof assuming you won't need to raise or lower them but are looking for a simple fixed installation. The road side edges will be high and the inboard edges will be low. This is not a problem while traveling as they would still be parallel to the ground or only slightly tilted which would not cause much/any issues while driving or parked. Flat is best if you can make that happen. Sorry, having the ability to tilt the panels is best but if that's not an option, flat is best.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I used angle aluminum to make feet.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.