Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

project for the day

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully this is an easy one.
I have had a slight fresh water leak from the toilet recently.
I also wanted to put in a riser and a shut off to the toilet, just in case.
My question is two part.
1 What do you think would be the simplest way to install a valve and increase the length of the supply tube by 2 1/2" ?

2 on this type of thetford toilet, where would be the most common point for a leak ?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sorry for the pics, thought I had them rotated properly. I'll try to fix them.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo
6 REPLIES 6

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my Thetford toilet I have replaced that valve twice. The other area that it leaked was the seal inside where you flush. Several times it was toilet paper stuck in the seal. Twice it was mineral build up preventing the seal from holding water.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Sharkbite shutoff valve and piece of PEX tubing

At the water inlet/vacuum breaker assembly

Helped a friend recently replace his bad valve. We cut off the Pex and installed a SharkBite supply valve with a braided SS supply line. Worked like a charm!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
korbe wrote:
I would first consider whether a shut off valve is really needed, since it is so easy to turn off the water elsewhere.
As far as the leak, I would connect a hose extension and turn on the water while being able to look closely.

An inline shut off valve right at the toilet is very handy in the event of a not so uncommon flush valve that doesn't fully shut off. The supply line valve can be used to cycle the toilet water on and off as needed for flushing until a permanent repair can be made.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
dockmasterdave wrote:
What do you think would be the simplest way to install a valve and increase the length of the supply tube by 2 1/2" ?

Cut the PEX back and install a compression fitting such as a Sharkbite, then use a short length of braided hose that's terminated with factory manufactured 1/2" NTP fittings that won't leak. Shurflo makes a pump silencer kit consisting of two lengths of 3' braided hose that is ideal for this purpose, Valterra offers this similar kit. Since the hose is braided you can bend it as needed, unlike the existing PEX, and since the fittings are factory they won't leak as can band clamps.

on this type of thetford toilet, where would be the most common point for a leak ?

Almost for sure it's the water valve - replace it with a new one.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I would first consider whether a shut off valve is really needed, since it is so easy to turn off the water elsewhere.
As far as the leak, I would connect a hose extension and turn on the water while being able to look closely.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sharkbite shutoff valve and piece of PEX tubing

At the water inlet/vacuum breaker assembly
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31