cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Residential Fridge install question

samert
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that have installed a residential fridge in place of the traditional RV gas/electric absorption refers, did you close off the roof vent or leave it open for help in cooling the residential fridge?

I'm leaning towards leaving mine open and I'm not too worried about getting cold air dropping into the MH and getting around the gaps in the cabinet opening since I plan on sealing off around the fridge real good.
Steve & Judy
1996 American Tradition
Spartan IC 2242 Chassis
C8.3L Cummins w/Banks Stinger, Allison MD3060
Doran 360RV TPMS, Progressive HW50C EMS.
Koni shocks, Safe-T-Plus
2001 Jeep Wrangler toad
ReadyBrute tow bar w/ReadyBrake
18 REPLIES 18

samert
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
x2 on coil location. Look at installation instructions for clearances and install according to that.

1" on all sides which I have but the back is wide open and the vented outside access door for the old gas electric unit still in place so I'm not worried about ventilation to the compressor.
Steve & Judy
1996 American Tradition
Spartan IC 2242 Chassis
Koni shocks, Safe-T-Plus
2001 Jeep Wrangler toad

samert
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Depends on where the coils are as to whether ventilation is needed behind the refrigerator. Check the specs on the model you are installing.

Well, it's a flat back refer and the coils appear to be enclosed up the backside of the refer because the back has a contour to it that is formed like the coils are in there. The compressor is exposed down below and there is a small grid of coils inside a lower drip pan.

The Whirlpool French door refer we have in the house has the coils underneath it but this one is only a 9.9 cf unit so maybe it doesn't need much of a coil grid.
Steve & Judy
1996 American Tradition
Spartan IC 2242 Chassis
Koni shocks, Safe-T-Plus
2001 Jeep Wrangler toad

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on coil location. Look at installation instructions for clearances and install according to that.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on where the coils are as to whether ventilation is needed behind the refrigerator. Check the specs on the model you are installing.