cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar panel install advice needed

skripo
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 135 watt semi flexible solar panel that I planned to mount on the curved roof of my TT. The panel is roughly 2' by 5'.

I was originally planning to mount it dead center from front to back but am now wondering if I should mount it side to side. We only camp in the summer, which way is more efficient?
2015 Fun Finder 242 BDS
18 REPLIES 18

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen them ty-raped to a pvc frame to make them portable. The 135 watt will charge a 100AH of battery but you will need to be very conservative in your usage.
If you don't already have them change to LED lights ~80% power reduction. Wire an on/off switch in the radio power lead as ours drew several amps even when off due to refresh and the amplifiers always powered.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mount it so that any shadows from the rig on the panels are minimized.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

May I ask you to post a link to the semi flexible panel?

I would jump up to two panels.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

There is no "More efficient" as you will not be tilting the panel to collect more power. 135 watts is just enough to make up for the power consumed by the propane detector, CO detector, and refrigerator, about a 35 amp hour daily load. The lights, and other stuff will slowly deplete your battery, but you can make it through a 3 day weekend without needing to run a generator if you conserve.

I am guessing that this panel is mounted to the roof, perhaps is a glue down type? That is nice. Make sure that you have it pointed exactly where you want it, before allowing the glue to touch, or it will stay where you put down the first corner.

On my roof, I have a pair of 120 watt panels, and pair of 45 watt panels. I can tilt them because they have a aluminum frame, and get about 20% more power when it is pointed directly into the sun. Yet in the summer, tilting is much less important, and you will have longer days.. So you should get enough power just having them flat. I don't tilt my panels anymore, now that I increased the capacity. And my panels are mounted about 1" above the roof, so that cool air can circulate under them, and cooler panels produce more power.

I suppose that you have already heard that it is popular to run the electric wires down the refrigerator vent, to the controller to the battery.

You might also plan where you might want additional panels, and keep them away from the shade of the antenna or A/C unit, if possible.

Have fun camping!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com