cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar Panels- Another Step Toward Independence

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
This should’ve been done a year ago.....but, life continually gets in the way! I’ve got to purchase some wire, junction boxes to finish the tie-in.

Installed these this morning on our Class C. The photo shows that the panels ( 4 x 100 watts) can be adjusted to take full advantage of the seasons/sun angle! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
19 REPLIES 19

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, not much fun to spend time on the roof....especially with several inches of snow. We had tilt panels on our 5ers for years, and the older I get the harder it is.....I’ll have to look into actuators. The panels would only angled when we would be spending 2 to 3 or more days in one location, spring, fall or winter....but, that’s when we do the majority of our camping.

Pianotuna, can the actuators be had, to lift in two directions ,left or right?

jdc1, Thanks for the roof warning, however, we have a pretty heavy duty, well constructed unit! Zero to near zero flex when walking on the roof! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
And those roofs are not made to continuously walk on.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Nice installation. :C
I agree, manually raising the panels would get old in a hurry.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi memtb,

Consider using actuators for tilting. I can't imagine going up on the roof when it is raining and windy to strike the panels.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You’ll enjoy solar but tire of titling panels. Looks like a quality installation. Use adequately sized wire as determined by a good chart.

I use WindyNation’s at: https://www.windynation.com/jzv/inf/choosing-right-wire-size
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad