cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stripping down a rotten camper

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 45 year old trailer that is rotten. My thinking is to strip it down and then make a flatbed out of it.

My plan of attack is the following order

1) all furnishings/cushions, etc.
2) all appliances
3) all benches/counters
4) all light fixtures in and out
5) All windows and doors.

The metal skin and wood walls, how do I take them down? I cannot just rip them down.
21 REPLIES 21

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1.wa wrote:
Depends on how rotten. Since it is bad enough for you to want to demo it, you might be surprised how easily the metal comes off.

My issue is that I want to keep it dry inside so I can strip it down over time. Would it be good to keep my list, and then peel the skin off the wood, and then cut the wood? I don't have a lot of room to work with, and am trying to make as little of a mess, a well as being able to recycle as much as possible.

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how rotten. Since it is bad enough for you to want to demo it, you might be surprised how easily the metal comes off.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
RVs are built from the inside out, so reverse the build, after you gut it.

So, I should be taking the skin off first?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Sawzall around the top to take the roof off. Then cut down the corners of the walls top to bottom. The walls should just fold down.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
RVs are built from the inside out, so reverse the build, after you gut it.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Skill saw with metal blade. Cut it all the way around above the wheel wells.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your 45 year old trailerโ€™s frame, axles, suspension, wheels etc. is worth all this effort? No salt damage? Rust?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad