cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ventilation (Alternative to Roof Fan)

rlepperson
Explorer
Explorer
Rather than cutting into the roof to install a fan, has anyone removed the back window panels in a cargo van and installed a louvered window device to provide for increased airflow? Ideally, the louvered window would have a baffle system, that can open and close? From the inside of the van, a fan would provide for airflow. If there is not an aftermarket window(s) available, perhaps it is possible to craft something that can be removed, with mosquito netting or substitute, for overnight stealth camping. Comments?
4 REPLIES 4

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the 50's owners of station wagons would open the back window while driving to 'let in a breeze' - problem is it drafted in the car exhaust gas, and killed the kids riding in the back of the station wagon.

Now days the car exhaust is typically a lot cleaner, and not nearly as much carbon monoxide, the tasteless and odorless gas that killed a lot of people - even last year due to leaking heat exchangers, and poorly vented gas appliances.

I would not want a vent in the rear window. If you have a van, cut a hole in the roof, and use a Fantastic fan. They do not consume a lot of power, and have a quiet fan that moves a LOT of air! I have 3 of them in my motorhome. A little rubber roof sealant, and the job is done, and will not leak!

I might install one in my cargo van that I will be getting this summer. I can run it while it is parked in the sun, using the solar panel that I will install to run it, and keep it cool all day long.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a pic of a full-size high-top (Ford Transit, the big one) cargo van that had tinted windows in the back doors. The owner had installed fans with the crank-open covers above the windows in the rear doors. So each door had 2 similar black-tinted squares. The covers were kept closed while driving.

I agree an open rear fan or window would get a huge amount of dust while travelling. I don't think exhaust fumes would be a problem while moving, but definitely could be if you were sitting idling for a while.

Some SUVs have a rear window that rolls down, even with the lift gate closed--the Toyota Sequoia for instance. So it is not "illegal." But there are probably warnings about having it open while the engine is running.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Isn't there some sort of safety code which does not allow openable windows on the back of a van? Carbon monoxide issues?

Louver windows are great, but nothing beats a fan. Maybe you could put a fan in a side window?
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
If I had a cargo van with back doors then I would be more inclined to put in a roof-mounted low-profile Maxxfan. It has a 900 cfm fan which gives you a complete change of air in a minute or two, can be left open in the rain and while traveling and is out of the way. I would also add rain defectors to the windows instead of louvers in the rear.

The back window on a van is usually the one that gets the dirtiest first-translate that into air quality and maybe that's not a good thing. My opinion.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.