cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Video: DIY - Installing Solar on our Airstream Myself

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
Most people are better off paying a reputable install shop to install solar on their Airstream, but we decided to do it ourselves. This is not a how-to video (though you main gain a lot of ideas from it). This is a "how I" video. ๐Ÿ™‚

We sure learn a lot by seeing other people's processes (both how to and how not-to). Hopefully this gives you an idea of what was involved in our panel install.

The panels have arrived (click link for video)

VHB Tape and Rocker Feet (click link for video)

Air Conditioner Removal (click link for video)

Installing the new Fantastic Fan (click link for video)

Wiring the panels (click link for video)

Mounting the panels and wires (click link for video)

Wiring the combiner box (click link for video)
follow our travels at:
http://themoreweexplore.com
10 REPLIES 10

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
I am not buying this.

It's ok, I don't need you to "buy it." I've tried it, and it felt far less safe. If you don't believe me, that's fine.

I invite anyone out there to make a video demonstrating the proper way to get on and off an Airstream with a ladder that you can carry with you in the storage hatch. I want to see it done on a video, not just theorized in a forum. I'm all for learning a safer way, I value my life.

As I said, I've tried a few different setups including extending it 3 feet past the edge, and my method feels the safest for me. As you approach the last foot or two of an Airstream, if you're not sitting on your butt, you're going to be sliding off, no matter how well secured your ladder is. Even if the ladder were welded to the airstream, climbing on from a curved surface would be extremely dangerous.
follow our travels at:

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
yeah, i'll be the first to admit my way isn't particularly "safe", it's just the safest way I've come up with so far. I try to position it near that green light pole to serve as a third point of contact when getting on and off, but that doesn't always work...

Fortunately I don't have to climb up there too often, and most of my work can be done from the side without getting all the way on the roof.
follow our travels at:

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are both right, in your given situations. The AS roof might make his way safer. But not necessarily safe. ๐Ÿ™‚
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
themoreweexplore wrote:
I'd love to see a video of someone actually getting on an airstream with a ladder with it on tge side, sticking up 3 feet past like you suggest. It'sounds a great idea in theory, or with a regular house, but i tried it once and it was far more dangerous, due to the curved edge of the airstream

I am not buying this. I've positioned ladders on the edges of buildings where the contact area between ladder and building is a knife edge. If the feet of the ladder are oriented correctly, the ladder won't topple or move.

If you are worried that the ladder will slide along the Airstream's curved surface, you might try to attach foam pipe insulation on the ladder's rails. An alternative is to secure the ladder with ropes or supports.

The most dangerous part of what you're doing with the top of the ladder below the roof is trying to position your feet on the rungs when descending. Besides the rungs being out of your sight, there is little space to place your foot through the rung.

Nobody is trying to beat you up on this but take a word from the pros that have been up on ladders, daily, for many years. Extending the ladder above the sidewall is the safest and correct manner to use an extension ladder.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
I'd love to see a video of someone actually getting on an airstream with a ladder like you suggest. It'sounds a great idea in theory, or with a regular house, but i tried it once and it was far more dangerous, due to the curved edge of the airstream.

When the ladder extends 3 feet past the top, you need to be standing on your feet all the way up until you swing your legs over. That means standing on the slippery, curved edge of the airstream.

Whether OSHA approves of my method or not, I'm using it because it is far safer to me. I can scoot over on my butt and make sure I have a strong foothold before weighting the ladder.

One thing I should do, however, is tie a rope to it and secure it to something on top so it doesn't fall over while I'm up there.
follow our travels at:

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
themoreweexplore wrote:
I've tried extending the ladder above the top. In theory it's a great idea. On reality ithat simply doesn't work. It's far less stable and far more likely to shift when getting on and off.
You need a better ladder or better ladder skills. Try securing the ladder so it doesn't move when you start up or down on it if that is a worry.

I've been using ladders for 50 years in a few different occupations and the rule of thumb when climbing on a roof is to extend the ladder higher than the wall. I train workers on how to safely use ladders. I do come across those individuals that are too apprehensive to be safe on a ladder. Those folks are relegated to "ground only".

Of course, you're welcome to do what suits you but there are millions of us out there doing it the right way.

x2. I was in construction for 30 years and OSHA requires the ladder to extend 3' above the landing. I know you're not on a job site but there's a reason for the 3' height. It's safer.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
themoreweexplore wrote:
I've tried extending the ladder above the top. In theory it's a great idea. On reality ithat simply doesn't work. It's far less stable and far more likely to shift when getting on and off.
You need a better ladder or better ladder skills. Try securing the ladder so it doesn't move when you start up or down on it if that is a worry.

I've been using ladders for 50 years in a few different occupations and the rule of thumb when climbing on a roof is to extend the ladder higher than the wall. I train workers on how to safely use ladders. I do come across those individuals that are too apprehensive to be safe on a ladder. Those folks are relegated to "ground only".

Of course, you're welcome to do what suits you but there are millions of us out there doing it the right way.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
follow our travels at:

AUwing2
Explorer
Explorer
I've been following your videos most of this year. All well presented common sense and easy to follow

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I watched most of the videos, some was just too painful, lol. You seemed to do a good job of it.

One thing I would suggest is that when using a ladder to access the top of your RV, extend the ladder ABOVE the sidewall of the RV. That way, you won't have to guess where your feet go coming down and you will have a hand hold on the top of the ladder when transiting to the roof.

If you're worried about scratching the side of the RV with the ladder rails, tape a rag onto the rails so they are not in contact with the sidewall. Also, positioning the ladder away from a window may be a better idea.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC