cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2005 Mobile Suite 32TK3 + 2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty - OK?

The_Skiing_Ninj
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. New to all of this...

I recently put a down on:

2005 Double Tree/DRV Model 32TK3 ('Telescoping Kitchen, 3 Slides')

and

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Turbo Diesel 6 Speed Manual with 5000# rear air bags.

My initial research showed this combo to be OK RE: weights.

However, I called DRV today and asked for the specs of this trailer (assuming no options). They said that it was too old ("ancient") and they no longer have the specs (I don't understand this as computers existed 10 years ago and a spec sheet would take up a trivial amount of space but I digress). They "ballparked" the numbers for me and they were way higher than everything I had found online so far.

I thought I was working with 14500# wet but the weight given by DRV was ~17k dry and ~20k wet with a 3200# pin.

My ultimate questions is: ignoring the numbers I just mentioned (as I don't really know what is correct), would you say the Ford can safely handle this 5th?

Thanks for your help. I really need to sort this out before these two items belong to me!

Sean (& Sarah)
67 REPLIES 67

High_Sierra
Explorer
Explorer
1999 250 7.3 total combined 20,000 pounds. I tow about 10,500. good luck

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Want to upgrade the entertainment side of my electronics. They are like yours 2006 era.

On the 12V supply side I am well above average with a 4D Lifeline AGM supplying a 2kw pure sinewave marine grade inverter charger.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

The_Skiing_Ninj
Explorer
Explorer
I'll check that out for sure. Thanks!

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
The Skiing Ninjas wrote:
We are picking up the truck on the morning of the 18th. Then, straight over to get the trailer.

I then have 4 days to get all the techy stuff completed:

Truck - new double din head unit touchscreen, new speakers all around, amp, slim sub (I have to; I'm an acoustical engineer), inverter and custom cab outlets, set up solar w/ battery backup tire pressure and temperature monitor, install and hardwire dash cam, install wireless charging puck under center console, set up the back seat area for the Basset Hound and Mini Dacschund, home built security system that I can't tell you about or I would have to kill you, etc.

MS - install back up cam and wireless radio connecting to the screen in the cab, WiFi ranger, outdoor speakers, substantially upgrade inside speakers and electronics, all new wiring for that stuff, install kegerator and Kegbot, add/upgrade batteries, add LED lighting to basement, install solar panels on roof (not permanent; can take down for ground positioning), swap out commode for a composting type, new locks outside so we don't have the 751 issue, install fireplace, check wheel bearings and repack as needed, set up a work area for me (desk), media server, (allows wireless access by any computer/phone anywhere to all music, movies, TV shows, books, games, dailies of the stuff we will shoot on the trip, etc.), HD projector & and pull down screen, install retractable lines on the outside for the dogs, fabricate and install some basement stuff, more geeky custom security (I'm also an electrical and mechanical engineer - I'm all the engineers), wrap some EL wire around our cruiser bicycles, install a small cargo carrier for them and a gas can for the generator (+ more unobtrusive security), fab a generator noise abatement box with some proprietary material from my audio company, weld up a muffler if I still think it is too loud (no, I'm not using a loud construction gen) and other **** I can't remember right now.

Hit the scale to check weights.

Head out to a local spot - Horsetooth Reservoir - for a shakedown.

After a couple weeks on the the trip, we will be stopping a friends place and I can change/add/delete anything that isn't working for us.

During the trip my wife will be updating all the fabrics inside the trailer, painting, and re-wallpapering.

If any of that sounds too heavy or power intensive, it's cool; I've accounted for each pound and watt.

That's it!

Sounds really cool and interesting! :B Please keep us posted.

BTW I love the 7.3L/6 speed manual transmission combo; it was the best Ford ever put out IMHO. I think you will really like it. I think you will need to think about some sort of exhaust brake if the truck doesn't already have it because that trailer will push you downhill like there's no tomorrow.

You can't go wrong with a Mobile Suites, either. We have looked at a few of them and they are gorgeous. We can definitely see one in our future.

Best of luck!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

The_Skiing_Ninj
Explorer
Explorer
We are picking up the truck on the morning of the 18th. Then, straight over to get the trailer.

I then have 4 days to get all the techy stuff completed:

Truck
* new double din head unit touchscreen
* new speakers all around (I have to; I'm an acoustical engineer)
* amp
* slim sub
* inverter with custom cab USB & 110v outlets
* set up solar w/ battery backup tire pressure and temperature monitor
* install and hardwire dash cam
* install wireless charging puck under center console
* set up the back seat area for the Basset Hound and Mini Dacschund
* add blackout curtains over their windows
* home built security system that I can't tell you about or I would have to kill you
* other stuff I can't recall right now

5th Wheel
* install back up cam and wireless radio connecting to the screen in the cab
* install a WiFi Ranger on the roof
* install removable outdoor speakers
* upgrade inside speakers (the stock units are atrocious)
* toss out the Sony receiver, tube TV, VCR, and DVD changer
* add Chromecast
* add new receiver
* install a HD projector inside ceiling cabinet above recliners
* install microperf pull down screen in front of TV/electronics cabinet
* install x-series encore ninja master speakers in TV/electronics cabinet
* all new wiring for that stuff
* install kegerator (2x sixtel or 1x 1/2 barrel)
* install Kegbot flowmeter and tablet
* add LED lighting to basement
* add pair of 6v batteries
* install solar panels on roof (non-permanent; can take down for ground positioning)
* swap out commode for a composting type
* new locks outside to replace the 751's
* install new fireplace
* check wheel bearings and repack as needed
* set up my desk area
* set up media server allowing access by any computer/phone anywhere to all music, movies, TV shows, books, games, & dailies of the stuff we will shoot on the trip, etc.
* install retractable lines on the outside for the dogs
* fabricate and install some basement organization stuff
* more geeky custom security (I'm also an electrical and mechanical engineer - I'm all the engineers)
* wrap some EL wire around our cruiser bicycles (she has a 2012 Schwinn and I ride a 1950 Colson Commander)
* install a small cargo carrier on the 32tk3's hitch for the bikes and a gas can for the generator (+ more unobtrusive security)
* fab a generator noise abatement box with some proprietary material from my audio company
* weld up a muffler if I still think it is too loud (no, I'm not using a loud construction gen)
* and the customary other **** I can't remember right now

- Hit the scale to check weights (truck, pin, trailer). Alter pack out as needed.

- Head out to a local spot - Horsetooth Reservoir for a shakedown. One day and night minimum.

- After a week or so on the the trip, we will be stopping by some friends and I can change/add/delete anything that isn't working for us.

- During the trip my wife will be updating all the fabrics inside the trailer, painting, and re-wallpapering.

If any of that sounds too heavy or power intensive, it's cool; I've accounted for each pound and watt.

That's it!

edit: change formatting for reliability

The_Skiing_Ninj
Explorer
Explorer
The purpose of the trip is a reboot - mind and body for both of us. There are many reasons why this is needed; too extensive to detail here.

While the plan is to sell the MS and truck and use that as a down on a house, if after the year we don't want to do that, we'll revisit.

Veebyes wrote:
What I wonder about is why are you only planning on keeping such a nice trailer for only a year? You won't find another like it easily. Plenty big ones around but not the 32.

fj12ryder wrote:
MFL wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I'm sorry for calling the OP a troll in advance. The question just seemed to be worded to get the weight police rolling.

Great post!! Most would not be man enough to apologize on a public forum!!

Jerry
My wife made me. 🙂

That's priceless !!! I really need a laugh today , Thank You
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I wonder about is why are you only planning on keeping such a nice trailer for only a year? You won't find another like it easily. Plenty big ones around but not the 32.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

The_Skiing_Ninj
Explorer
Explorer
I checked and they are indeed G tires.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
If they are in good visual condition and less than 5 years old I would just run them, if they are "G" rated tires.
I jumped to the conclusion that they were "E" rated, but now I'm not so sure. They do say for trailer use only, so they could be "G". I'd agree with you if they are "G" rated.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
The 7.3 diesel is MUCH netter than the 6.0. many horroe stories with the 6.0.

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
+
I will bet your dry weight is around 12000 and your truck will do fine. I drove a 2001 F-250 auto tranny for 14 years with no problems pulling a 2955RL Montana with a dry weight of 10000 plus. My tires were 235/85/16.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If they are in good visual condition and less than 5 years old I would just run them, if they are "G" rated tires.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Skiing Ninjas wrote:
Thank you very much for the info. Do you have a favorite place to get tires from?

edit: would you still recommend replacement if I'll only be going ~4000 miles over the next year and then sell the trailer?
I got mine from Simple Tire online, but if you're planning on selling it shortly and doing very few miles then you might roll the dice. My OEM ST tires blew out after 2 years and less than 8,000 miles.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"