cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Keystone - Montana 3100RL -- Chev 2500HD Diesel

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I am trying to understand how heavy a 5th wheel my truck can tow. The truck is a 2016 Chev 2500HD Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8. One web site said only tow a 13,900 lb 5th wheel other website said ability to tow 15,400 ??????

The 5th wheel a 2014 Keystone - Montana 3100RL specs read.

Dry Weight 11,573 lbs.
Payload Capacity 3,027 lbs.
GVWR 14,600 lbs.
Hitch Weight 2,355 lbs.

Can I safely tow??????
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
10 REPLIES 10

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
riltri wrote:
MFL wrote:
TXiceman wrote:

"Adding air bags is a crutch and does not increase towing or load ratings or safety."

Wrong...safety/capability YES!

Does not change stickers! Correct

Read my, and Marty's posts over on tow vehicles, on page 3 of the thread New tow vehicle.

Jerry

Perhaps I am not understanding what you are saying but airbags do NOT increase capacity. They will help level your load and increase stability, but it will not change your vehicle GWVR

but it will not change your vehicle GWVR STICKER (actually GVWR) you mixed it a little

^^^^^true that....as a new member, please read the posts I mentioned in the TV section. In time being/reading on this forum, will give a better understanding of the stickers. 🙂

Jerry

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
TXiceman wrote:

"Adding air bags is a crutch and does not increase towing or load ratings or safety."

Read my, and Marty's posts over on tow vehicles, on page 3 of the thread New tow vehicle.

Jerry

Perhaps I am not understanding what you are saying but airbags do NOT increase capacity. They will help level your load and increase stability, but it will not change your vehicle GWVR
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
TXiceman wrote:

Jerry

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to give you an example, our Redwood left the Factory at a 1000 Lbs heavier than the listed Dry in the Brochure. I have no idea how they come up with the numbers they put in those Brochures, maybe a random number generator.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
First off, you loaded pin weight will be closer to 2900# than the dry 2300# from the brochure data.

The tow ratings on the website are manure in my opinion. The numbers they list are based on a stripped model truck and a 150# driver. You need to work the specific numbers up for your truck.

First look for the yellow sticker on the drivers door jamb. There will be a paylaod rating for your truck. This is the most load you can add to the truck bed and passengers.

Use 20 to 22% of the trailer GVWR for an estimated loaded pin weight. Now add the estimate pin weight plus a hitch plus cargo in the bed plus passengers. This total has to be less than the payload capacity sticker.

Adding air bags is a crutch and does not increase towing or load ratings or safety.

A 3/4 ton truck will reach its payload capacity before you reach the maximum towing capacity.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
Can the truck tow it....Yes. Will you be over weight....yes. Will you be able to tow safely....technically no, but unfortunately others do it all the time.

If you want to tow responsibly, then the answer to your question is probably no. Just my opinion.
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IMO the lower tow weight of 13,900 would be about max. You need to weigh the truck loaded to camp, gear, people, full fuel, anything going in the truck. Now get separate axle weights, most all pin wt goes on rear axle. If rear axle weighs 3,200 on scale, and RAWR is 6,200, you can only add 3K more to the rear axle. If you don't have a hitch installed most are about 200 lbs right over the axle. If needed suspension support can be added, such as air bags, or Timbrins. You cannot go over the max tire rating!

Jerry

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Legally carry? Weight police don't care about RV's

To the OP, my first towing truck was your make and model in 2009. My 5th wheel was the same weight as yours and I never had an issue towing all over the country. Have fun.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

your limiting factor will be the PIN WEIGHT.... The amount of weight you can legally carry in the bed compared to the pounds you can legally tow behind you. like stated, check the sticker on your pillar/door jamb to see what the payload is
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at the sticker on the drivers side door of your truck. It will give you the weights for your truck not the averages. Now for the trailer you can normally figure around 22% of GVWR for pin weight that gives you a fully loaded pin weight of about 3350. The sticker on the door also gives you the cargo weight. That includes the weight of passengers, hitch, trailer pin, and anything else you might put in the truck. You do the numbers.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A