cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 f250 towing fifth wheel

Keith_P
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 F250 Single wheel and am looking to get a toy hauler. Truck is a crew cab short bed and will have a B&W slider hitch. Im new to fifth wheel rv's and was lookin a suggestion on what size to get. Id like to have a separate garage if possible. Again I'm new to this so any help would be helpful.

truck info
2017 F250 crew cab short bed 4x4
heavy duty tow package 10;000lb gvw
3.55 gears
56 REPLIES 56

Keith_P
Explorer
Explorer
I know this seems silly but how do I find my rawr for my truck. I know what the tires are but not sure what the rating is for the axle. I know it has 3.55 gears

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Keith P wrote:
well initial though was a 5er but docent look like I can get what I want with this f250:(

So, my neighbor pulls a Fuzion 341 with a 2500 RAM. His hauler is heavier than ours, and he has 3 kids and puts 4 quads in his 11' garage. He's overloaded, but he's used to pulling heavy trailers and said it's not "that" bad. So some of it depends on your comfort level. My FIL is a former hotshot driver, he'll tow just about anything with his 1999 GMC 3500 and feel fine about it.

As for us, we started out as inexperienced towers driving in the mountains and in very windy places with a larger bumper pull and a truck that was too small, and had some really scary moments. We went from an F150 (not good), to an F250 (better, but still a bit stressful), to an F350 dually (weeee!), then got the 5er, and then just picked up the new truck this year and it's more than capable and we're happy. Did it cost us some money? You bet, but peace of mind is worth something too.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Keith P wrote:
well initial though was a 5er but docent look like I can get what I want with this f250:(

Base your decision on your RAWR and tire rating and don't worry about your payload tag. I've seen situations many times on this board where people get well meaning but bad advice based on ignorance and they either restrict themselves needlessly on trailer size or go waste a bunch of money doing little more than changing the tag on the fender from 2500 to 3500.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Keith_P
Explorer
Explorer

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm, a bumper pull with separate garage that could fit a 4 seater is gonna be tough. I can't think of any off the top of my head, some others may have ideas. That's one of the reasons we upgraded to a 5er.... our old bumper pull could barely fit the 2, and we might want a 4 some day. You'll probably want a 12'6" garage because a 4 is just over 12'.

Keith_P
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2 seat rzr that is 9ft so I guess 10ft minimum but would like to upgrade to a 4 seat in the future

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
How big of a garage are you after?

Keith_P
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so as I wait to be able to get my truck weight on a scale. Ive done some research and my truck is rated to tow 15.000lb weight distributing. I'm not stuck on getting a fifth wheel just know they tow a lot nicer but that being said this unit would only be used several times a year. does anyone have any recommendations on a travel trailer style toy hauler that has separate garage? id really like separate front bedroom

dedmiston
Quantum82 wrote:

2. Insurance coverage --- would insurance deny payment of a claim if something happened and they saw you were overloaded?? I'm guessing insurance companies would look for any reason to get out of payment, especially liability.

Hey there, Quantum.

Insurance claims don't work that way. They have a contractual obligation to pay the claim. If the adjuster suspects a problem like being overweight (and can prove it), they will forward the file to underwriting where the underwriters will decide whether to mark the policy for non-renewal. This process is pretty rare in my experience.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Quantum82
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with you, the F150 and F250 are totally different beasts.

My dad has an F350 with the 6.7L PSD and that truck is a tank. His payload is 3550lbs and he tows a 5th wheel. It is night and day difference between his truck and mine.

Repercussions....I don't know. I'm not into fear mongering, but I guess technically it could effect

1. Warranty on your truck --- only if Ford could prove you overloaded it and it caused your issue.

2. Insurance coverage --- would insurance deny payment of a claim if something happened and they saw you were overloaded?? I'm guessing insurance companies would look for any reason to get out of payment, especially liability.

Again, I just want to give you all the info you might want before making a $40k or more investment in a new trailer, just to find out you need to buy a new truck to make it "legal".

If that does happen....can I buy your F250...LOL 🙂
2019 F150 Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 28BHKS

Keith_P
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate that sir! this is the info I'm looking. trying to make sure #1 my family is safe and #2 I'm legal. although it don't make since that a f150 and 250 are anywhere near each other in towing. I have owed both and they are nowhere in the same ball park when it comes to power, braking or handiling with a load on. so if I was to exceed this payload limit being the rear tires, wheels and axles are rated higher what are the repercussions?

Quantum82
Explorer
Explorer
And that's what I'm trying to point out in my post...you're F250's payload is about 250lbs more than my F150....

So, basically this is the math you should do:

Payload 2077lbs - occupants ____lbs - 5th wheel hitch 100lbs = weight left for your pin weight.

F250s are very capable trucks indeed and they sure look a lot like their big brother the F350, but legally they aren't nearly as capable.

F250s make great tow vehicles for travel trailers, but when it comes to 5th wheels, you quickly go over the payload rating of your truck.

What you end up doing in the end is up to you, but I just wanted to give you the low-down on your payload.

I would hate to buy something, just to realize that I was overloaded. Not everyone feels the same, but it's something to consider.
2019 F150 Ecoboost

Keith_P
Explorer
Explorer
Quantum82 wrote:
Keith you need the number on this sticker that says

"The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed:"

That # is 2,077lbs

Quantum82
Explorer
Explorer
The calculations I did on my F150

Payload: 1,813lbs
Tow Rating: 11,700lbs

Payload 1813 - occupants (5 people) 550lbs - WD hitch 100lbs - 120lbs of kids bikes = 1,043lbs of payload left for tongue weight.

Ideal travel trailer tongue weight is 10-15%. Lets say 13% for math.

Travel trailer max weight if I wanted 13% tongue weight: 1,043/0.13 = 8,023lbs.

My trailer is 6700lbs as per the yellow sticker on the door.

Wet and loaded for the road, my tongue weight is 950lbs per my Sherline tongue weight scale.

I would do a similar calculation for towing a 5th wheel if it were up to me, which would put me in an F350 for sufficient payload (ie. 3500lbs)
2019 F150 Ecoboost

Quantum82
Explorer
Explorer
Keith you need the number on this sticker that says

"The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed:"

2019 F150 Ecoboost