cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing behind fifth wheel camper

livy1jade
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a good way to wire in a female flat four plug on the back of my fifth wheel so I can tow an ATV trailer behind my fifth wheel ?
Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
reluyog wrote:
Bipeflier, I'm 3 feet under in Wyoming, and have a ball/pintle hitch on the Kenworth to pull the second trailer there. It's not a big trip. Otherwise we're 61 feet. Spend a lot of summer days there!

Wow,the pic sure makes it look L O N G.

Be safe.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
Bipeflier, I'm 3 feet under in Wyoming, and have a ball/pintle hitch on the Kenworth to pull the second trailer there. It's not a big trip. Otherwise we're 61 feet. Spend a lot of summer days there!
Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO14615, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
What makes you think he is over length ? I used to pull two bumper pulls and didnt go where i was too long to be legal. I am now buying a fifth wheel and part of the shopping process is making sure when i pull a trailer behind it that i will be legal length in California.

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
reluyog wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
I ran a dedicated trailer cable from the junction box for the 5th wheel umbilical all the way back to the rear through the belly. I ran a 7way to mine though.

Similar to transamz9, I installed a junction box in the back area of my tow vehicle and run two pigtails to the 5th wheel. I installed completely separate wiring on the trailer in pvc conduit for lights, braking, and cameras for the second trailer. That way the second trailer is completely independent from the 5th wheel electrical circuits. I also run two brake controllers. So a total of 4 umbilical's, two for lighting & brakes, one for cameras, and one 50 amp dc line fused on both ends (large Anderson connector).

So how much over length are you?
2016 3500 Duramax

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
I ran a dedicated trailer cable from the junction box for the 5th wheel umbilical all the way back to the rear through the belly. I ran a 7way to mine though.

Similar to transamz9, I installed a junction box in the back area of my tow vehicle and run two pigtails to the 5th wheel. I installed completely separate wiring on the trailer in pvc conduit for lights, braking, and cameras for the second trailer. That way the second trailer is completely independent from the 5th wheel electrical circuits. I also run two brake controllers. So a total of 4 umbilical's, two for lighting & brakes, one for cameras, and one 50 amp dc line fused on both ends (large Anderson connector).
Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO14615, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

livy1jade
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, that's just the info I was looking for.

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
I just fished wires up to the tail lights. Solder and heat shrink all connections. Been working flawlessly for 8 years now.
2016 3500 Duramax

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:

Smart move!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Chad_Heiser
Explorer
Explorer
I have done both ways described above. I prefer the method of coming back from the junction box at the pinbox. It requires more wire, but you arenโ€™t splicing into existing wires that might cause other issues. You also want to make sure the hitch you have at the back of the 5er is properly mounted and sturdily built. It not only needs to support whatever you are towing, but it also needs to be built so that it doesnโ€™t over stress the 5th wheel frame. There are a lot of side forces acting on the 5er frame when turning due to the typical long overhang behind most 5er axles.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find the tail light wires and connect away.