cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 New truck says 5th wheel it not connect? Update 8-4-18

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new 2017 Ford 350 dully connected to a 2010 Dream Suite 5th wheel. When I start to pull out of my yard the truck dash reads out that the trailer is disconnected. Also when I turn the left and right turn signal on when driving the truck reads out that the signals are failed and the truck dash right or left signal flashes rapidly. I have hooked up to different trailers, have the ford dealer check the stocks, changed out the trailer 7 pin connector. I have hooked up to different trailers, have the ford dealer check the stocks, changed out the trailer 7 pin connector and check to connection on the trailer and truck to the best of my ability. Only when I connector to my DRV 5th wheel I am having a disconnected trailer reading. I am an electrician. Most RV shop that I am having a bad ground issue. Any advice please. Do I need to better ground hydrastar unit? I do have a Hydrastar electric over hydraulic actuator and disc brakes. The trailer lights are working properly and when I step on the brake the brakes do operate/ work.

I am just try to see if I over looked something before I pay a RV shop to check out the trailer and or take the truck back to the Ford dealer for the forth time.
Chuck
6 REPLIES 6

mr176
Explorer
Explorer
If your DRV has separate turn signals and brake lamps, I would guess that is your problem. The new Super Duties somehow use the common brake lamp/turn signal circuit to sense the trailer. I ended up mounting 2 spare led lights in the battery compartment and wired them to the brake/turn circuit before it is split. Solved all problems including the truck's charge circuit not energizing.
2021 F450 CC Platinum 4x4 6.7 DRW Hensley TS3
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2014 Lance 992

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
If the Ford works fine with other trailers, it would not be high on my list to be the problem. A 2010 is few years old. I would check the umbilical cord and its connections on the trailer. A wire could have gone bad inside the cord or a connection to the trailer bad giving intermittent operation.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

Maintcpo
Explorer
Explorer
might try some dialectric grease I had the same issue with my gmc and this solved the issue
Dan, Ret Navy CPO
Minnie The Wife Extraordinaire
2015 Sundance 245RL
2012 GMC Sierra 2500 4X4 DSL

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chuck .. wrote:
I have a new 2017 Ford 350 dully connected to a 2010 Dream Suite 5th wheel. When I start to pull out of my yard the truck dash reads out that the trailer is disconnected. Also when I turn the left and right turn signal on when driving the truck reads out that the signals are failed and the truck dash right or left signal flashes rapidly. I have hooked up to different trailers, have the ford dealer check the stocks, changed out the trailer 7 pin connector. I have hooked up to different trailers, have the ford dealer check the stocks, changed out the trailer 7 pin connector and check to connection on the trailer and truck to the best of my ability. Only when I connector to my DRV 5th wheel I am having a disconnected trailer reading. I am an electrician. Most RV shop that I am having a bad ground issue. Any advice please. Do I need to better ground hydrastar unit? I do have a Hydrastar electric over hydraulic actuator and disc brakes. The trailer lights are working properly and when I step on the brake the brakes do operate/ work.

I am just try to see if I over looked something before I pay a RV shop to check out the trailer and or take the truck back to the Ford dealer for the forth time.

Do you have the brake controler set to electric over hydraulic?. I found that setting by accident.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
F-TROUP wrote:
My son's GMC Dinalli showed the same message, it was a loose ground wire in his 5th wheel cord.

Ditto I had to replace the plug on mine, not hard to do.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
My son's GMC Dinalli showed the same message, it was a loose ground wire in his 5th wheel cord.