cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

36 ft FW vs 30 ft TT backing

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to see if my FW will fit a campsite I have booked. My FW is 36 ft overall and my dads TT is 30 ft. The CG says the TT will fit in the site, but the FW will not fit because of site access (too sharp of turn), not because the site is too small for my FW. I'm thinking they would be very similar in maneuverability because of my FW being over the axle. What say you?
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT,4x4,Crew, Duramax EFI Live
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge
35 REPLIES 35

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Backing of a trailer is as much about the wheel base of the tow vehicle as it is the length of the trailer from the pin/ball to the center of the trailer wheels.

A short wheelbase TV will make it much easier then my long bed, 4 door Duramax!
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

campercajun
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the other posters. The trailers back differently, but each has its own advantages and disadvantages over the other. Barring obstacles such as trees, posts, signs, culverts, etc., next to the campground road and/or adjacent to the campsite driveway, I think I could put either one into the spot with a little time and patience. We have a 35' conventional travel trailer towed by a crew cab truck, and run into such problems when we decide to go camping with little notice, and the campgrounds are too full to be able to choose the best spots for our rig (mainly in nearby U.S. Army C.O.E parks at local lakes). Only occasionally are we not able to get the trailer in due to its length and the maneuverability of the combination, usually in spots which are really too short for the truck/trailer combination to park in when hitched together anyway. Most Corps gatekeepers are willing to let you try, but if you are dealing with a privately owned campground that's had bad experiences with that site in the past, they may not.
2003 GMC Sierra Crew HD; 6.0L; Prodigy
2006 Thor Tundra 30RL-DSL; Reese Strait-Line & Dual-cam HP
2001 Honda Elite Scooter

Jim & Gayle Bryant

Murphy's Law: "Anything that CAN happen, WILL."

Bryant's Law: "31 years of RVing? Probably already HAS."

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Even though you said sharp turn was the issue, I'd also be aware of the height difference from most TT and 5th wheels ๐Ÿ˜‰

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
95% chance if the 30' TT fits, so will the 36' 5th wheel.

They back slightly different but if you know what you are doing, you can get them into roughly the same positions.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Since a FW is slower to react to truck movement, you often times have to pull farther past your site, before backing. If there is an obstruction in the way by pulling farther ahead, this may be their reason. IMO, if you can get that length TT in there, your FW will fit also, but may require a little more back/forth, and patience.

Jerry

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Someone who is skilled can back either into spots most would consider too tight. I would suspect they are remembering problems some folks have had with getting into a spot and are playing it safe. I doubt they would turn down a potential paying customer without have a legitimate concern.