cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 or 5 on tire replacement

jackandh2o
Explorer
Explorer
On our last vacation we had 2 of our BF Goodrich Commercial TA's go bad. They were about 3.5 years old. I was in Les Schwab territory and all they had was Toyo's so I bought 2. I'm ready to finish the process but I curious about the spare. Is the norm to buy 5 new and hopefully the spare never hits the ground or can I get away with putting a much cheaper tire on the spare.

Thanks Ray

2005 Montana Mountaineer 29RKB
23 REPLIES 23

rdturn
Explorer
Explorer
5 at a time always unless you dont mind fixing the flat and putting it right back on the trailer.
-Roger
2004 F250 SD Ford L/B
2008 FR Wildcat 30RL

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Most age related wear is due to sunshine and ultraviolet rays. Most spares are mounted under the coach, where the sun doesn't get to it. 't your spare doesn't see sun, it should hold up to the age issues (cracking) much better. But if replacing tires on the ground, take the newer of those tires and mount it on the spare rim. Keep it aired up. And it will work as a spare when you need it.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

TubaPete
Explorer
Explorer
Since the wheel my spare is mounted on (plain steel) is not the same as the others (polished aluminum,) I treat it separately. My spare is always good enough and new enough to go on the road at any time, but it doesn't necessarily match the other four in brand or age.
Tuba Pete

I also do all 5 at a time...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
If you're a full time traveller, I would do 5 and rotate them every 5k (Do that with the Jeep). But, for regular few weekends a year, I would put the "best" for a spare.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I never replace the spare on the trailer or on any of the cars and trucks I have ever owned when I get new tires. And the spare has only felt the ground a couple times in the last 20-25 years. And that is with driving around 50,000 miles per year between the DW and I. Spare will get me to a tire store and right back as being the spare.

Have them put the best used tire on the spare when you get new tires. And if you want, throw the other used one in the back of the truck.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The spare tire is to get you out of trouble, not into more. Unless you are willing to use the spare as a stop gap - just long enough to limp down the road to the next town to get the blow out replaced, I would probably replace all 5.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I would keep the newest or best shape tire as a spare, until it reaches 7 years old then replace it. I would love to use Toyo's on my car, you probably want them too, they have a great reputation with the big rig truck drivers.

Normally I would say replace all at 7 years old, but if you have been replacing them over time, so no need to replace the young tires.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I replace 5 at a time. Tires age regardless of use and sooner or later you will need that spare to get you somewhere
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)