cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50amp to 30amp

mowtown
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 50amp receptacle that's powered by my 10k generator and I want to add a 30amp box so that my friend can plug his camper in too, I know how to do the wiring but will his camper have a problem using a 110volt 50amp leg off of my box?
8 REPLIES 8

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
sdetweil wrote:
and he'll only have 30amp. not 50. cause he will only have 1 leg.
his unit is designed to consume 30 max. so thats what it might do.

are you sure that one leg won't have 50 amps?
bumpy

we quibble over what the word 'have' means. The breaker will support a 50amp load, yes. but the load from this RV designed for 30 amp service would (should) never be more than 30amp with everything on full. A light bulb (<1 amp) plugged into this one leg will still work.. not like 50 amp is FORCED on the end devices.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is neat diagram of how the CAMPGROUND PEDESTALs are wired.

The 30AMP is wired just like a standard 120VAC RECEPTACLE but has larger wiring and is fed by a 30AMP breaker in the panel.

As long as your 30AMP SERVICE lash-up tests out like shown here you will be fine...

Home wiring LASH-UPS are best done by brother-in-laws and friends. Then when you blow up your friends trailer appliances you only end up with a fist fight. If you have a qualified electrician wire up it then he will be bonded and if he blows up your friends appliances then his insurance will pay for it... Tread lightly...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
sdetweil wrote:

are you sure that one leg won't have 50 amps?
bumpy

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

You can find out what leg powers the A/C by finding the circuit breaker and with the power off, ground one circuit breaker, then look for the leg that is grounded with a ohm meter.

The 10,000 watt generator should make about 90 amps at 120 volts, so if balanced perfectly, should be no problem powering both rigs. However it would be possible to overload one leg of the generator, so it is wise to figure out what leg your A/C is on.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

mowtown
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,s for the help, when I get out to my property Im going to try it out. Now I just need to figure out which leg on my 50amp plug operates my a/c so that I don't tap into that one.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

dezl_dr
Explorer
Explorer
It'll be fine, the coach has a breaker to protect against overloads and the cord is big enough to trip a 50 if it would short out.
2014 F-350 DRW, 2010 Elite Suites 38'

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
people plug 30 amp RVs into 50 amp outlets all the time with no problem. In theory I guess the 30 amp cord can potentially be overpowered, but the RV should have a 30 amp breaker??? I made a box with two 30 amp pigtail outlets and a 50 amp male plug so I could pick the side that had the best power.
bumpy