cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel hitch or gooseneck for new 5er

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
New to 5th wheels, not new to RVing (2 diesel pushers a few years ago).
We are in the process of buying a 2022 Solitude (40') 378MBS. We just purchased a 2019 Dodge Laramie 3500 dually with 8' bed.
The pickup has a ball for a gooseneck.
So my question is, should we go with a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch?
Pros and cons for each. Not too concerned with cost differential.
I'm not sure about terminology, but I think the pickup has the "puck" system. There are 4 holes in the bed surrounding the ball.
As you can see, I'm a real newbie to hitches.
Thanks in advance for all inputs.
BTW, we are selling the house and going fulltime RV.

Edit: After reading thru some related topics, I assume I have the puck system and should go the 5th wheel hitch route instead of the gooseneck.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah
31 REPLIES 31

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I won't criticize Hensley they are quality, but I spent a whole lot less and have a great ride with quality to boot. I have 6k pin.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
New to 5th wheels, not new to RVing (2 diesel pushers a few years ago).
We are in the process of buying a 2022 Solitude (40') 378MBS. We just purchased a 2019 Dodge Laramie 3500 dually with 8' bed.
The pickup has a ball for a gooseneck.
So my question is, should we go with a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch?
Pros and cons for each. Not too concerned with cost differential.
I'm not sure about terminology, but I think the pickup has the "puck" system. There are 4 holes in the bed surrounding the ball.
As you can see, I'm a real newbie to hitches.
Thanks in advance for all inputs.
BTW, we are selling the house and going fulltime RV.

Edit: After reading thru some related topics, I assume I have the puck system and should go the 5th wheel hitch route instead of the gooseneck.

BEFORE - you "accept" the *advice* on any internet forum - to use a goose neck or not - check with the mfgr's TECH line (don't rely on
a salesperson/dealer). The mfgr is THE authority!!

Then decide on what kind of (or brand) of hitch YOU prefer.
Again - don't rely on posters saying "I have the XXXX, which is wonderful". Do your homework!

:W...:W

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
ReneeG wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
Cptnvideo wrote:
Well, we bit the bullet and ordered the BD5. Yikes, $3500 delivered to a local freight company.

You will not regret the Trailer Saver.

Ken

Hensley is a top notch company with equal customer service.

Good to know. We were expecting to spend around $2500 for a 5th wheel hitch. But like the old adage - you get what you pay for.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Cptnvideo wrote:
Well, we bit the bullet and ordered the BD5. Yikes, $3500 delivered to a local freight company.

Ken

Hensley is a top notch company with equal customer service.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

I used a Trailer Saver for many years of fulltiming. When I purchased my latest truck I decided to go with a Reese Bose Box instead another 5er hitch. Been using it now for over three year and would not go back to a 5er hitch. It’s nice to be able to use the truck bed itch out having to remove a large heavy 5er hitch.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

The BD3 TrailerSaver disassembles easily for removal by one person, yet is strong.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
^^That is a nice way to put it, but not true. The trucks are not all equal, and neither are the hitches. Will most get the job done? Yes, some better than others!

Always like to get a good price, on the best product, rather than a cheap price/product.

Everyone needs to make their choice, which works best for them.

Jerry

Well said my friend.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
What’s better Ford, GM, of RAM? Answer they are all equally good. Same answer for all the name brand hitches. Just a matter of which you like better and/or get a better price on.

Hitches are NOT equally good. Sure some cost less.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I used a Trailer Saver for many years of fulltiming. When I purchased my latest truck I decided to go with a Reese Bose Box instead another 5er hitch. Been using it now for over three year and would not go back to a 5er hitch. It’s nice to be able to use the truck bed itch out having to remove a large heavy 5er hitch.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
The Reese Goose Box still applies the lever arm at a longer distance, just like a hard goose neck adapter. All they have added is an air bag to cushion some of the vertical and chucking load.

Go ahead and get the Trailer Saver. We have been using the TS3 for 8 plus years and love it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
Durb wrote:
Hitches generally come in two styles, soft joint hitches (air hitches) and solid hitches. There are also variations of pin boxes. My guess is your Solitude will come with a MORryde pin box which is designed to quell chucking forces, a fine product.

I would suggest you consider how you will use your trailer as you full time. If you are going to pull it south in the winter and park it, then north in the summer and park it, then a solid hitch would be fine. If you are planning to tote the trailer all over the country, then an air hitch would be worth the additional cost. The air hitch will provide towing comfort, additional safety, less driver fatigue, and shock protection for both your trailer and truck.

My suggestions: Solid hitch - B&W Companion per above posts. Air hitch, Trailer Saver BD5 set up for your puck system.

Congratulations on your new trailer.

You've convinced us. We plan to have 1200 watts of solar installed so we can do a LOT of boondocking (we will do some staying in RV parks but don't care for "no elbow room"). So the BD5 sounds ideal for us.
Will we be able to get the Solitude level for towing with that hitch?

Yes, on the level question. Both hitch and pin box are height adjustable. Grand Designs have high overhangs, and your dually will set a couple of inches lower than a single rear wheel truck.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^^That is a nice way to put it, but not true. The trucks are not all equal, and neither are the hitches. Will most get the job done? Yes, some better than others!

Always like to get a good price, on the best product, rather than a cheap price/product.

Everyone needs to make their choice, which works best for them.

Jerry

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
What’s better Ford, GM, of RAM? Answer they are all equally good. Same answer for all the name brand hitches. Just a matter of which you like better and/or get a better price on.