cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air bag wireless air compressors

RainbowsEnd
Explorer
Explorer
Still working on the decision between Firestone vs Airlift kits and the wireless compressors. Today I was reading about difference in WirelessAir and WirelessOne. I understand the difference of single or double pass. Just not sure of real pros and cons of either while hauling a 5th wheel. The truck is only used for the 5th wheel and not other hauling.

The reason I ask is because of reading comments like:
"Wirelessone: If both bags are on one valve the air will shift from one to the other while turning with a heavy load. However, if the load is distributed evenly it will also return to even once you straight out."

Anyone with experiences on either of these systems? Any concerns with using the WirelessOne?
F250 Diesel Lariat
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
15 REPLIES 15

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
nremtp143 wrote:
Due to many of the failures of the wireless compressors a while back, I went with the Firestone Ride-Rites and the Viair 10007 onboard air system on my truck. I realize that the wireless compressors have come a long way in the past 6 years, but I'm on my second truck with the Viair. I have them plumbed independently and can control each bag from the cab with the Firestone pneumatic controller. Plus, I put an air chuck under the right rear door of my truck so I can fill tires anytime on the road.

I have had two different AirLift compressor systems. One was the conventional one with a gauge the second ,and present one is wireless. Nearly 10 years with both, and they worked flawlessly.

Just curious what kind of problem you had with the wireless.

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Planning wrote:
medic143,

How/what did you use that enables control of the Viair to the Firestone Ride rites?

This is the dual pneumatic gauge controller that I used. It is a little pricey, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem with one. I had another style and promptly switched to this one and have never regretted it. It is also available in a black face as well.
Firestone Dual Needle Control Gauge
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
medic143,

How/what did you use that enables control of the Viair to the Firestone Ride rites?
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Due to many of the failures of the wireless compressors a while back, I went with the Firestone Ride-Rites and the Viair 10007 onboard air system on my truck. I realize that the wireless compressors have come a long way in the past 6 years, but I'm on my second truck with the Viair. I have them plumbed independently and can control each bag from the cab with the Firestone pneumatic controller. Plus, I put an air chuck under the right rear door of my truck so I can fill tires anytime on the road.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Planning wrote:
RainbowsEnd wrote:

Anyone with experiences on either of these systems? Any concerns with using the WirelessOne?

I have the Firestone Air Bags. I had them put on by the RV dealer upon delivery of the 5er as soon as I saw the rear end squat.

The more progressive spring rates allow more sag to compensate for a softer ride.

The bags make it very easy to level the 5er.

I had them installed with manual air fittings at the license plate area. Separate lines for each side.

I am planning to install the Firestone Wireless Air Command F3 in a few months. My plan is to use the Firestone 2588 "No Drill" mounting plate, and use a Group 27 battery box as a weather resistant enclosure for the pump and ECU.

I plan to install "T's" into each air line to keep the manual fill option intact.

You might want to check out the AirLift 72000 wireless compressor system. Have had installed now for two years, and has worked flawlessly.

Its never a bad idea to add the manual fill lines. My system came with the air valves to install in the license plate bolt holes. Never know when something can go bad on the compressor or control system.

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
RainbowsEnd wrote:

I have the Firestone Air Bags. I had them put on by the RV dealer upon delivery of the 5er as soon as I saw the rear end squat.

The more progressive spring rates allow more sag to compensate for a softer ride.

The bags make it very easy to level the 5er.

I had them installed with manual air fittings at the license plate area. Separate lines for each side.

I am planning to install the Firestone Wireless Air Command F3 in a few months. My plan is to use the Firestone 2588 "No Drill" mounting plate, and use a Group 27 battery box as a weather resistant enclosure for the pump and ECU.

I plan to install "T's" into each air line to keep the manual fill option intact.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MN Ben wrote:
RainbowsEnd wrote:

"Wirelessone: If both bags are on one valve the air will shift from one to the other while turning with a heavy load. However, if the load is distributed evenly it will also return to even once you straight out."

In theory, probably. In reality, you will never notice it.

My Airride system is T'ed together. Mine is "wired" to the supplied pressure gauge in the cab. I can fill or defleat with the push of a button on the gauge and constantly monitor the pressure at a glance as I drive. I am totally happy with the system and kind of glad I did not go the wireless route. I use it in the set up in my signature as well as heavy brick loads. Also had the system in my SRW setup.
Ben

Kind of glad you didn't go wireless, I am just the opposite . I had the same system as you have now on my previous truck. Good system, but it sure doesn't have anything over on the wireless.

A few key things about wireless over the gauge. To start , don't have to run any electrical ,and air lines into the cab. In my case with the console no good place for the gauge, only good option would be a pillar mount gauge. I have the remote in the cab to see air pressure at a glance, it automatically adjusts the set air pressure if needed ,which is a nice feature , never have to worry that you don't have the 5-10 psi in them when running empty. Many times I looked down to see hardly any air pressure on the gauge in the cab on my old system. Air pressure can be changed by the push of a button, no holding it down, and having to watch the air pressure build to the desired pressure. Has preset pressures if you desire .

It would be difficult to go back to the gauge system after having wireless. I would recommend it to anyone installing air bags .

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
My system is wired and the right and left bags are T'ed together. They used to be separate until I installed an onboard compressor and T'ed them together. I notice no difference. Pressure gauge in the cab of the truck, and can raise or lower pressure with the push of a button. I'm very happy with it.

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
RainbowsEnd wrote:

In theory, probably. In reality, you will never notice it.

My Airride system is T'ed together. Mine is "wired" to the supplied pressure gauge in the cab. I can fill or defleat with the push of a button on the gauge and constantly monitor the pressure at a glance as I drive. I am totally happy with the system and kind of glad I did not go the wireless route. I use it in the set up in my signature as well as heavy brick loads. Also had the system in my SRW setup.
Ben
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I had wireless on my 2011. I used it once and then sold the truck. I really liked having them. I removed it from the truck thinking I would put it on my new one. I got factory air on the new Ram so now the wireless kit is for sale cheap.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
Okie1 wrote:
I had the Firestone air bags on my last truck and after many years of running them tee"d together I put them on separate fills,pulled my fifth wheel for many more years and honestly could not tell any difference.
When I bought my current truck I installed the Firestone air bags with the Airlift Wireless Compressor ( single fill) and could not be happier.

Exactly what I have done and could not be happier, 2 settings on the remote (towing and solo) press a button and the pressure is adjusted.:)

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Okie1 wrote:
I had the Firestone air bags on my last truck and after many years of running them tee"d together I put them on separate fills,pulled my fifth wheel for many more years and honestly could not tell any difference.
When I bought my current truck I installed the Firestone air bags with the Airlift Wireless Compressor ( single fill) and could not be happier.

My first airbag setup was the same as your present truck, and also was happy with the setup. I went all AirLift this time with no complaints.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
RainbowsEnd wrote:
Still working on the decision between Firestone vs Airlift kits and the wireless compressors. Today I was reading about difference in WirelessAir and WirelessOne. I understand the difference of single or double pass. Just not sure of real pros and cons of either while hauling a 5th wheel. The truck is only used for the 5th wheel and not other hauling.

The reason I ask is because of reading comments like:

IMO it doesn't make any difference towing a fifth wheel . I have had the air system both ways,separate lines on the airbags, and tied together . Some claim there is a difference , but I haven't been able to see any.

My present truck is the wireless Airlift 72000 with the AirLift Ultimate airbags. I like the remote control on the system, and of course not having to run any electrical or airlines into the cab.

Having had both the AirLift ,and Firestone, its a **** shot. I bought the AirLift this last time because of price, and their rebate. So far after two years no complaints.

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
I installed Airlift and tee'd them together and they work fine without an onboard compressor because I only use them for hauling the fiver and leave about 10lbs in them when not hauling.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)