cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

aluminum roof vs. wood

batavia02
Explorer
Explorer
Forgive me if this sounds dumb but is there a difference overall in a 5th wheel with wood vs. One with all aluminum. Not talking about any one manufacturer in particular and yes I do know the obvious that wood does rot over time, just curious if the aluminum roofs are better over time.thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Too many variables.

I've seen cheap aluminum wall studs in houses that bowed and flexed like a trampoline and you could have something far stronger and not likely to react with elements in a quality application.

So long as you maintain your roof it shouldn't matter. IF water gets in then there will be issues regardless if you have aluminum or wood.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of '70s all wood constructed RV trailers/truck campers/class C/etc out here with no issues.

IMO its a non issues as each has its advantages and dis advantages.

A leak in any trailer regardless of wood or aluminum framing can cause issues of some kind.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
there have been plenty of posts over the years of folks having to replace wooden trusses. I don't remember any having to replace aluminum ones.
bumpy