Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I over the Max 5fer length?

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

We are looking to buy a 44ft 5fer.m
I recently came across a Good Sam article with the trailer length limits per state. It looks like many states set the limit at 40ft. Is this something to worry about if you have the right tow vehicle?

https://www.goodsam.com/article/default.aspx?articleID=1195129
MC
26 REPLIES 26

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Learjet wrote:
I think it would be helpful for a definition on how a 5th Wheel trailer is measured? Is it from the pin to the bumper or nose cap to the bumper?

YES!!!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Since they're licensed by the state to issue titles either there's 0 enforcement of what the legislature put on paper, or they sell the majority of their inventory to out of state folks, I'll tell you which I think is more likely 😃

Checking rv vehicles for legal lengths isn't on our state troopers every day radar according to my local state DOT trooper.

Most cars/trucks sold today will exceed the vast majority of posted speed limits....but a car/truck dealer can legally sell a 180 mph vehicle.

You just take your chances pulling a over length trailer or speeding or shooting at a LEO or selling crack to drug crazed Americans or busting any other laws.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a LOT of illegal 5ers then, every widebody unit and most toy haulers are going to be over those limits. Obviously it's basically never checked or enforced.

Just for kicks I checked the first RV dealer that came up for Oklahoma RV dealer in Google, Floyd's. Out of 98 5ers in their inventory system 39 are over 40', and 30 out of 43 5er toy haulers were. Since they're licensed by the state to issue titles either there's 0 enforcement of what the legislature put on paper, or they sell the majority of their inventory to out of state folks, I'll tell you which I think is more likely 😃
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My state title 47 says in part bla bla
***....trailer shall have a body width not exceeding eight (8) feet in travel mode and an overall length not exceeding forty (40) feet, including the hitch or coupling***.
I wouldn't attempt the other 49 state length description.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I think it would be helpful for a definition on how a 5th Wheel trailer is measured? Is it from the pin to the bumper or nose cap to the bumper?
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
The citations are all there, which makes it easy to research the law for yourself, the two I checked (which were of interest to me) where correct.

Nick that was published about 5 years ago and I know for a fact the info on 2 states is dead wrong

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
My answer would be yes, in a lot of states you would be exceeding their length restrictions.
Click

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Each summer we spend several months out West staying in public CGs without reservations and even the last 2, while busier, still not a problem. Small is better if you can’t maneuver your rig.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forty four feet is a monster for sure but the issue will be site availability. No problem if you don't move around much & are a KOA or resort type of person & like where all the big class As go but you will be passing by many state parks where even a 35' fiver is on the big side.

A compromise to think about before signing the dotted line.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't worry about it as it pertains to state laws, if anything there might be an additional fee when registering it which is no biggie. There are so many RVs 40' and longer everywhere you go, the extra few feet is unnoticeable to most casual observers. IF LEO has nothing better to do than pull over slightly longer than average RVs I want to live there as obviously crime is not a factor in the area.

The only real concern would be going to older state and federal parks as big rig spaces are not overly abundant, any RV parks (private or public) created in the last decade or so should have plenty of sites for longer rigs. A few commercial parks recently built locally every site can handle 40' and above with ease, big rigs are ever popular with so many on the roads RV parks are designed for them nowadays.

My old set up was 72ft if I remember right, might have been 75ft. I had that mess all over the country and not once could not find a campground. Only place I was concerned at that time was CA as they were known to ticket people over their legal length coming out of Vegas. I don't fool with state parks, etc only places with room. My current set up is about 56ft and I was in Myrtle beach first week of Dec and South FL first week in Jan.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The clicky is for commercial class trailers which a rv trailer isn't.
My states max length for a rv trailers is 40' per title 47. Over length permits are cheap .

Just like other size and weights weight regulations or exceeding highway/street speed limits....running stop signs/etc. Just 'cause you do it and get by with it doesn't mean its not against the law.

See your states max length for rv trailers (not a combination).

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Retired JSO wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Although some states have the 40’ trailer, I don’t remember any one saying they were ever stopped for trailer length. Overall length yes, trailer length no.

State, National, and local campgrounds can be a problem even at 35’+.

There are no states with a 40’ max. 48’ is the shortest in some state with the majority set at 53’ max.
Max Trailer Length

That link is for commercial towing. State rv towing laws are different.

https://www.rvia.org/system/files/media/file/Maximum%20RV%20Length.pdf