cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anderson goose neck adaptor hitch.

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
I use the bed of my pick up a lot. Having the Anderson adapter hitch for my Fifth-wheel camper would make taking it in and out a whole lot easier than a regular fifth-wheel hitch.
Any one use one and how do you like it? Fifth-wheel is 13 k hitch weight is 2 k. Anderson hitch is rated at 20 k Or higher.
73 REPLIES 73

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
grizz272 wrote:
Do you have the chains from the camper and hook on the truck or from the truck and hook to the camper? Does it matter

Mine are on the camper and hook to the truck. It would be a pain to have chains in the bed all the time.

I started out with chains attached to pin adapter all the time but now just hookup both ends. I just didnt like leaving the chains on pin, didnt like the look.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
My chains are attached to the truck directly under the Andersen hitch and I simply hook them to the pinbox adapter. I have heard that most states don't require this but in CA they do. I guess anything with a ball requires safety chains in this state.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
grizz272 wrote:
Do you have the chains from the camper and hook on the truck or from the truck and hook to the camper? Does it matter

Mine are on the camper and hook to the truck. It would be a pain to have chains in the bed all the time.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I use the AU hitch with no issues. I also use chains. It's nice to have an open pick up bed if I want without using a cherry picker to get the hitch out.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Just thinking out loud, that post with the warranty line of " no alteration/mod to the LCI frame really doesn't apply to the adapter I have on my Dexter pin box. Its not modifying any part of their frame. Just the way I see it.

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
They are not owned by the same company from what I can see.

Reese is part of the Cequent Group, which is owned by TriMas.

Lippert is owned by LCI, which was acquired by Drew Industries in 1997, and then they changed the name back to LCI in 2016.

Seems just to be a joint marketing venture.
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
slapshot12 wrote:
IIRC, Lippert and Reese are owned by the same company, so of course they will be biased to one brand.

This came up on here a while back and seems to come up frequently. Unless things have recently changed, they are not owned by the same company. Perhaps Reese/Cequent chose to align themselves with Lippert for the purpose of proliferating their product, which would be a smart move.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
IIRC, Lippert and Reese are owned by the same company, so of course they will be biased to one brand.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
Granted, but now layer on top the following:

LCI seems to have a vested interest in promoting the Reese Goose Box. It's on their site.

They have written to me in an email that use of the Andersen Ultimate will cause a warranty claim to be denied.

While it may be a generic warranty, it seems to be weaponized against a specific product in this case.

Anyway, maybe the horse isn't dead, or maybe that's just a muscle spasm and it's really dead.
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
ToddD wrote:
At the risk of beating this dead horse further, here is an example of the chassis warranty as provided through Grand Designs (look for a separate warranty sheet on details about the chassis, not in the Owner's Manual):

https://www.granddesignrv.com/sites/default/files/LCI%20DOP%20Warranty.pdf

This warranty does not cover any Product which is found to have been modified or altered in any way, including, but not limited to, installation of any and all aftermarket hauling attachments such as gooseneck adapters, pinbox extensions, tow hitches, load bearing devices, or other attachments to the Product. LIPPERT COMPONENTS will not be liable for commitments or agreements made by any of its employees, agents, or dealers not in accordance with this warranty.

The Andersen Ultimate is not a pinbox extension, we are all in agreement there.

But it can be construed as a "gooseneck adapter" since it adapts a king pin to a gooseneck configuration by way of a bolted-on ball socket.

I'm open to other interpretations if anyone here has them.

(and even if your dealer is selling you this part, don't assume Lippert approved it, as you can read in that quote)

In reading that warranty statement, I think whether or not you use an aftermarket hitching product should be the least of your worries. Their attorneys have more/less written a warranty statement in which the only thing they cover is a bare frame being moved down the road on a transport trailer.

What would happen if a stress crack developed where the RV manufacturer drilled a hole for a fastener? It does say "This warranty does not cover any Product which is found to have been modified or altered in any way, including, but not limited to...other attachments to the Product." I wonder if that includes the RV housing itself. :E

Who draws the line on "other attachments"??? What about dealers who automatically attach a Mor-Ryde pin box or suspension equipment? Automatically voids the warranty.

Its really about a useless warranty. Assuming you have any problems, it must be within the first year only. Most RV'ers probably don't use their rig more than a handful of times within the first year. And if you did have a problem on month 2 of your warranty, rest assured that months 3-12 will be consumed with trying to get it fixed.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
ToddD wrote:
At the risk of beating this dead horse further, here is an example of the chassis warranty as provided through Grand Designs (look for a separate warranty sheet on details about the chassis, not in the Owner's Manual):

This warranty does not cover any Product which is found to have been modified or altered in any way, including, but not limited to, installation of any and all aftermarket hauling attachments such as gooseneck adapters, pinbox extensions, tow hitches, load bearing devices, or other attachments to the Product. LIPPERT COMPONENTS will not be liable for commitments or agreements made by any of its employees, agents, or dealers not in accordance with this warranty.

But it can be construed as a "gooseneck adapter" since it adapts a king pin to a gooseneck configuration by way of a bolted-on ball socket.

(and even if your dealer is selling you this part, don't assume Lippert approved it, as you can read in that quote)

I will agree that the simple phrase above "... or other attachments to the Product" would include the Andersen block, but could just as easily apply to a big bubble level that I attached to the pin box by drilling 2 holes and fastened with 2 screws. Silly to the point of ridiculousness, but that's what happens with broad brush statements.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer

Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
Anyone read the warranty? Iโ€™ll paraphrase.

โ€œTheir products must be unmodified and in their original state. โ€œ

Pretty sure the Andersen adaptor is a modification.

Iโ€™m sure those are the terms they will use to deny any warranty claim if that is their intention.

Using that logic, my pin box was "modified" every time I dropped it into my conventional hitch jaws and locked it up!

The naysayers do not realize the adapter does nothing but attach to the kingpin same as jaws on traditional hitch, just bolts instead of jaws. Andersen does not modify the pin box.
Again, show me in writing " using Andersen hitch voids warranty " . My Jayco warranty book says nada about what hitch can be used. I drove it off lot with a Reese gooseneck adapter my dealer installed. I had 2slide issues in the 2yr warranty & never any **** about style of hitch.maybe its all in quality of your dealer.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
gkainz wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
Anyone read the warranty? Iโ€™ll paraphrase.

โ€œTheir products must be unmodified and in their original state. โ€œ

Pretty sure the Andersen adaptor is a modification.

Iโ€™m sure those are the terms they will use to deny any warranty claim if that is their intention.

Using that logic, my pin box was "modified" every time I dropped it into my conventional hitch jaws and locked it up!

I think that's a stretch. The pin's original design is to use with a "conventional" 5th wheel hitch.

According to what document? According to who?

To be worried about the pin box damage is a mute point, there was one member that reported damage to his pin box with the Andersen, and was determined it was pretty cheaply made. No other reports of damage have been reported

There have been many many more reports of the gooseneck mount B&W damaging truck beds, then anything the Andersen has done.