cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antenna question on new 5th wheel

Dukecity426
Explorer
Explorer
We took delivery today of our 2018 Grand Design Reflection 29RS fifth wheel. My husband spent most of the afternoon trying to get over the air channel reception. With our old 5th wheel in the same spot, we used to get 25 channels or so. Nothing with this one. It has a King Jack antenna. My husband was wondering if anyone else has had an issue with this? Also, any happy or unhappy opinions on the tvs that come with the unit? Thanks...
2004 GMC 4X4 D/A CC SB, "Juice/Attitude", 4" SS Exhaust, AFE intake, 2018 Reflection 29RS, two AC's, Reese 16K Slider, Bilstein shocks, 2 Honda EU 2000i generators.
25 REPLIES 25

Dukecity426
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
The Jack antenna is not as good as the old Wineguard Batwing with the Wingman attachment. Two things hold true...more metal higher in the air for better reception.

As noted, make sure you have the amplifier is on, and the TV source is set for TV, Off Air or antenna, point in the general direction of the TV station antennas and scan.

Ken
Thanks Ken, I too thought that this might be the problem, but after I found the amplifier, it was turned on. Still zero results.
2004 GMC 4X4 D/A CC SB, "Juice/Attitude", 4" SS Exhaust, AFE intake, 2018 Reflection 29RS, two AC's, Reese 16K Slider, Bilstein shocks, 2 Honda EU 2000i generators.

Dukecity426
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
This is s stretch but on our last TT they cut all the shielding off the cable ends and just jammed them into the connectors.
So you might check the continuity of both the shield and center conductor.
We have not checked this yet. I will do this soon. Thanks for the suggestion

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Did you turn in the signal booster? Same thing happened to me. Then back in the master bed room I found the little black push button on the brown coax cover plate. It was very difficult to see. Once I turned on the booster we located all kinds of channels.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
The Jack antenna is not as good as the old Wineguard Batwing with the Wingman attachment. Two things hold true...more metal higher in the air for better reception.

As noted, make sure you have the amplifier is on, and the TV source is set for TV, Off Air or antenna, point in the general direction of the TV station antennas and scan.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
This is s stretch but on our last TT they cut all the shielding off the cable ends and just jammed them into the connectors.

This happened to us with our first travel trailer. I couldn't figure out why we could not get a signal. (and this was before everything went digital). I ended up removing the wall jacks from the ceiling and found the coax wires were not cleaned up at all. It was frayed on all connections and they were touching each other. I removed them one by one to make sure they were replaced back into the same spot, cleaned off all the little frays and spindley wires touching each other, on both jack connections, and the television worked great after that.

Check that out first. Good luck.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2014 jayco ( bought used) over the air worked fine but cable would not work in the bedroom. Some where the wire must be pinched. Might be your problem.
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
The Jack is a good antenna, something is wrong. Is the light lit red on the antenna itself, showing that it is receiving 12 volt power?

Could be the tv itself, most do not come with top quality unit.

Jerry

X2. So good that I installed them in our last two trailers.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Also important to go into input and make sure the correct input is selected.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
And the obvious question. Did you go into the TV menu, select AIR, and scan for channels?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Jack is a good antenna, something is wrong. Is the light lit red on the antenna itself, showing that it is receiving 12 volt power?

Could be the tv itself, most do not come with top quality unit.

Jerry