cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any haulers with 20 foot cargo length?

Identifier
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. I'm new to RVing and hauling but I have an 18 foot "toy" that I want to take with me camping to various places across the US. I'm trying to decide between buying a toy hauler vs. buying a 30' motorhome pulling a 20' enclosed trailer. The motorhome-pulling-a-trailer idea sounds like a 55' train of disaster just waiting to happen, but the problem with toy haulers is that most of them only have a 10'-12' "cargo area". My toy is just a little over 18 feet long (but only a few feet wide at the ends). Does anyone have any suggestions on any toy haulers like that? Personally I'd just settle on a bare bones 20' enclosed trailer but the misses wants a bed to sleep on and a bathroom to pee in and the usual stuff like that... go figure 🙂 Also I don't own a tow vehicle yet so I'm leaning towards a 5th wheel as opposed to a TT (for stability and handling advantages etc.)

Thanks for any advice!!
40 REPLIES 40

midnightsmoker3
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2008 Forest River Sandstorm F34sp that is open floor plan that has 18'6" or cargo.I fit a RZR and 3fl full size quads no problem. Forest River made a few models betwen 2008-2010 that had close to 20'.
2006 Ford F350 Lariat Crew, LB 6.0,
2008 Forest River Sandstorm F34SP.

2008 RZR LT
2007 LTZ250
2003 Kawasaki KFX400

Identifier
Explorer
Explorer
Yup

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Identifier wrote:
My toy actually only weighs 600lbs. I'd probably put a 10-drawer tool chest in there as well, but that's about it.

So what is this 18' long 2' wide 600# toy anyway? Just curious.

ultralite plane/glider?
bumpy

dedmiston
Identifier wrote:
My toy actually only weighs 600lbs. I'd probably put a 10-drawer tool chest in there as well, but that's about it.

So what is this 18' long 2' wide 600# toy anyway? Just curious.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

TruckinRazor
Explorer
Explorer
As far as current models go this is the largest cargo area I could find under $45k
Eclipse Attitude 38CRSG

Identifier
Explorer
Explorer

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP, how much does your toy weigh? One reason for short load areas is so you cannot put too much weight behind the axles ending up without enough tongue weight. #3 sounds like a "55' train of disaster" to me. If your toy is heavy you need to rethink the Class C and a 20' trailer.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Milkman670
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 07 weekend warrior 3905 yesterday, it has 21.8 ft to cupboard.

dedmiston
Strabo wrote:
Makes ice too!!

Yeah it does, in style too.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
big buford wrote:
If you can find a nice condition next level or dunechaser 38CK it would fit the bill. I believe it has 20' of storage. I have an 06 38CKS which is a double slide, love it. Should be able to pick up a nice one 20-25k.
Example

Your's is perfect, beautifull rig. Allways the nicest in camp.

Makes ice too!!
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Bedlam
1L243 wrote:
You did not factor in price

#1. $30, 000 to $40,000
#2. $40, 000 to $50, 000
#3. $75, 000 to $90, 000

If you're quoting new, that does not include the tow vehicle. My combination falls into #1 without the truck. #2 can actually cost as much as #3 based on how you get it outfitted - They do slides and all kinds of fancy things in the better LQ models (not Work and Play).

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
If you can find a nice condition next level or dunechaser 38CK it would fit the bill. I believe it has 20' of storage. I have an 06 38CKS which is a double slide, love it. Should be able to pick up a nice one 20-25k.
Example
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
You did not factor in price

#1. $30, 000 to $40,000
#2. $40, 000 to $50, 000
#3. $75, 000 to $90, 000
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Bedlam
We went through the same problem. There are some nice car haulers with LQ (living quarters), but we did not want to deal with the length. We went from a 25' TH (toy hauler) behind a 20' truck to a camper on the truck making it 22' long pulling a 23' long enclosed trailer.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Identifier
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your advice guys! I looked at the links you sent and it's good to see there are options. It basically seems like there's three types of toy haulers that can be used with long toys:

1. The kind that don't have a separator/wall between the toy area and the living area. Basically the ones where you consider how far it is from the rear-ramp to the kitchen cabinet, or from the rear-ramp to the foot of the mattress 🙂 Many of these seem to have couches/dinettes that fold up flat against the wall. dunesport.com is an example. The nice part about this kind of TH (where your toy is laying in your living room) is that the overall length of the trailer can remain shorter than the divided kinds. This type of TH would probably work just fine for me alone but not so much for the DW 🙂

2. A large car hauler with a simple wall between the garage area and the living area, and some RV furniture screwed down in the living area. Basically, a car hauler primarily and an RV secondarily. The couches/dinettes might not fold against the wall but they aren't luxurious by any means either. The bed in the "bedroom" is either pressed against the back wall or you have to crawl up and on your hands and knees to get around it. For example the Forest River Work and Play 44RLS or some of the divided trailers from milltrailers.com seem to be good examples of these. I was actually able to get the DW to say she wouldn't mind staying in one with me "as long as it made me happy" 🙂

3. A 5th wheel RV with extra space in the back reserved for a garage area with a wall or sliding-glass door separating it off from the rest of the living area. These looks like they are (luxurious) RVs primarily and toy haulers secondarily. The couches are leather, they have solid-surface countertops, and they have well insulated walls and double-pane windows etc with fancy valences and all that jazz). They have actual bedrooms (that you can stand up in) and closets for clothes and such. The Cyclone 4018 and the Voltage 3818 are examples of these. The DW said she would be begging me to take her places in one of these.

Personally I'm in agreement with the DW on this one and I'm going to try go to with #3. The Work and Play 44RLS would have been fine but I am going to be spending a lot of time in it down south in the summer and I'm worried about the lack of insulation (quality too?) and I want the air conditioning to be as efficient as possible since I'm going to be dry camping mostly. Between the Cyclone and the Voltage I like the Cyclone's floor plan a little better, and from reading forums it sounds like the Cyclone's quality is better than Voltage, but the Cyclone 4018 only lists its garage as a 17.5' garage whereas the Voltage 3818 lists its as an 18' garage. Otherwise they're almost identical. I'm hoping I can squeeze my toy in the Cyclone (maybe diagonally or something) and am waiting to hear back on more precise measurements...

Anyway thanks again for all the pointers and I hope someone else finds this information useful.