cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody have the Trailersaver BD5

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
I know many have posted regarding the BD3 but looking for comments specifically on the BD5. Its a lot more hitch than I need but I like the puck ready design. It is supposed to be designed with the newer truck heights in mind. I like my B&W companion but as get into the longer trips in the near future, I am looking for the best ride possible.
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo
23 REPLIES 23

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Wood chip wrote:
I know many have posted regarding the BD3 but looking for comments specifically on the BD5. Its a lot more hitch than I need but I like the puck ready design. It is supposed to be designed with the newer truck heights in mind. I like my B&W companion but as get into the longer trips in the near future, I am looking for the best ride possible.

I highly advise adding Bilstein 4600 shocks and air bags and inflate them to 30# LOADED. The Hitch you have is rock solid and with the shocks and bags your ride will be VASTLY improved.

I am the guy who buys a truck then immediately trys to make it better. I added the 4600's after 2 weeks of having the truck then I added the Ride Rite Airbags with wireless remote last month.
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Wood chip wrote:
Wood chip wrote:

UPDATE
I have ordered the BD5. I think it will be good.

You should have waited for my reply. :B

I know your response. Haha. I am a B&W fan myself but I continue to search for the optimum ride. I will keep my Companion as I may be back to it

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wood chip wrote:
Wood chip wrote:

UPDATE

You should have waited for my reply. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wood chip wrote:

I highly advise adding Bilstein 4600 shocks and air bags and inflate them to 30# LOADED. The Hitch you have is rock solid and with the shocks and bags your ride will be VASTLY improved.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
Wood chip wrote:

UPDATE

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I have the BD3 and it barely meets my weight limitations, however, the RS rep told me I'm ok. I went with it due to the ability to disassemble it and removed it pretty easily.
I purchased that hitch for my previous 2013 Silverado without a puck option. I've recently purchased a 2018 GM truck with the optional puck system. So I ordered the TS puck adapter and am continuing to use my BD3.
I'm writing this as an option that you may consider. If you like the BD3 and don't need the extra capacity of the 5 plus the ability to more easily remove the hitch, perhaps the BD3 and adapter would be an option??? The adapter barely raises the hitch any further than the standard in-bed rails.
I love the hitch and its very robust. Good luck.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
I now have the TS3 in my 2008 Ford F-450, great ride. Just signed the papers yesterday for a new 2019 Ford F-450 and will be putting in the BD5. I'm no expert on hitches but have researched most of them. I don't think you'll go wrong with the BD5. You should get a great ride pulling your rig.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I Don't have that hitch but it looks like a BD3 that has been modified to fit the spacing required for the under-bed attachment design. The weight ratings are impressive on the BD5, probably made possible by the lack of standard rail limitations.

The design of my trailer allowed that it chucked terribly. I started out with a B&W Patriot which was a fine hitch but transmitted all the bouncing and chucking forces directly to my truck, pretty miserable. I replaced the Patriot with a TS3 and now very few undesirable forces reach my truck. The tow went from bad to comfortable.

I'm sure any TrailerSaver product is well tested and you will be extremely happy with the towing results. The TS3 was the best improvement I made concerning my fifth wheel enjoyment. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for the hitch I wouldn't own my current trailer.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
The place we were for the winter, one of the fellows got a new BD5, but was not towing with it for another month. It is installed in a new 2018 F350 DRW.

The hitch looks heavy and well designed.

I have been using a TS3 for about over 4 years now and it is a great hitch.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot