cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using a Bakflip cover on a short box?

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi everyone,

Just bought a new-to-us Arctic Fox 29-5K.
The canopy I had on my '14 Ram 3500 SRW short box sold yesterday, so I'm looking into getting a tonneau cover.

BakFlip seems to be a good option, but I'm wondering if there will be enough clearance?

They fold 4 times, with the 4th having it standing vertical up against the cab. I'm thinking that may be very limiting as it effectively decreases the distance between the cab and front cap of the trailer.
If it could be used in the 3/4 folded position (still laying flat, but stacked upon itself) then I'm thinking that one issue might be the distance between the bottom of the trailer and the bed rails.
The other issue may be whether or not the trailer can 'travel' over it in turns etc.

Hopefully there's someone out there with experience with these covers.
If there are other options I'm missing please let me know about them too.

Thanks!

Mike
16 REPLIES 16

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Bakflip on my MegaCab 3500 and have no issues with clearance at all.

Bute56
Explorer
Explorer
I have an f250 short bed with a bakflip vp cover. I use the andersen hitch that clamps to my gooseneck hitch. I fold the cover 3/4 of the way back and secure with a bungee. Towed over 3k miles last summer with no issues. 5 years of ownership of the vp cover and I am extremely satisfied with it.

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I had one in my 2500 Silverado and worked well. I now have a 3500 RAM and use a rollover one.

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Searching_Ut wrote:
I have a backflip on my shortbed Ram, and so far haven't had any issues. I use it in the 3/4 folded position though not all the way up against the window. With a shortbed you want to be able to see the 5er when backing into a spot because if you turn sharp enough it will hit the cab even with cutouts. The underside of the trailer hasn't ever contacted the cover even in a sharp turn where I'm only a couple inches from the rear window. I do watch it close if I'm on really uneven terrain. I've used it with both and Andersen ultimate hitch, and more recently with a B&W companion.

Perfect. Just the info I was hoping for.
I'm going to be using a rail mount Andersen.

Thanks everybody. Gonna' make the call....

Mike

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
I have a backflip on my shortbed Ram, and so far haven't had any issues. I use it in the 3/4 folded position though not all the way up against the window. With a shortbed you want to be able to see the 5er when backing into a spot because if you turn sharp enough it will hit the cab even with cutouts. The underside of the trailer hasn't ever contacted the cover even in a sharp turn where I'm only a couple inches from the rear window. I do watch it close if I'm on really uneven terrain. I've used it with both and Andersen ultimate hitch, and more recently with a B&W companion.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Extang tri-fold cover as well on my short bed Ram. I simply remove it before towing. It takes about 10 minutes if I take my time. That way, I don't worry about clearance and have full access to the forward area of the bed where I like to carry my propane tank, chaise lounges, etc.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Truxedo cover. It rolls up round all the way to the cab. I also have an Aux tank and the cover is not in the way. I highly recommend this over the Back flip.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
that's what I run and its not been an issue, but I do have nearly 8" of clearance between the truck rails and Fiver.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

VeroWing
Explorer
Explorer
FireRob wrote:
Reading all these posts and seeing the covers stacked near the cab with no issue and clearly above the bed rails. It has me wondering because when I asked about a fuel tank sticking above the rails an inch and a quarter the mass consensus was it had to be below the bed rails. Have to rethink my choice a little more.

FireRob, tonneau cover actually now has a 51gal. fuel tank/toolbox under it.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dodge shortbed with the bakflip. We fold it 3/4's and have never had a problem. We do have a SuperGlide autoslider hitch that helps.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
Reading all these posts and seeing the covers stacked near the cab with no issue and clearly above the bed rails. It has me wondering because when I asked about a fuel tank sticking above the rails an inch and a quarter the mass consensus was it had to be below the bed rails. Have to rethink my choice a little more.
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC Longhorn LB DRW 4.10's Aisin Trans Auto Lvl Suspension Dual 220 Alternators

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 Longhorn (traded in)

2015 CrossRoads Longhorn ReZerve LTZ31SB

VeroWing
Explorer
Explorer
I recently installed an ExTang hard TriFold tonneau cover. I can fold it towards front and it has two clips that keep it there when towing fifth wheel with the 6'6" bed GM.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the FOLD-A-COVER hard plastic panels on my truck bed...

Every thing stacks up on behind the rear window. Is lockable and if you take care of the seals they don't leak...

I have transferred my setup between three trucks now...

Google images

Sure keeps thing out-of-sight...

Should clear the fifth wheel hitch just fine...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Herzog
Explorer
Explorer
I had one on the last F250 I owned....after three months I sold it. I found it cumbersome and the seals had already started to go bad....leaked like crazy.
Bought a Truxedo roll up tonneau and love it. Easy to use, doesn't leak and not a bunch of folding and bungy cording....ugh