cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arctic Fox 27-5L

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
I'm seriously considering purchasing this unit, and am curious whether these are still as highly regarded as they seem to have been in the past. I live in Richmond, and it's going to cost me about $3000 to have it shipped to me from Montana, but I'm willing to spend that if Arctic Fox is really as good as everyone says they are.

Basically I'm looking for something small, but full-time livable that can be used in all sorts of weather (though not sub-zero temps or anything too extreme) and, more importantly, something which will hold it's resale value if I decide to go in a different direction in 3-4 years.

The price point is about $50K, which is about what I want to spend. I guess I'm asking for some encouragement, or for some other recommendations that meet my requirements. One of the biggest things in addition to high quality is the size, slightly under 30 feet. I haven't found many units that have the layout I want (A long slide wall where I can basically do anything I want to without having to work around built in cabinets or anything like that).

Any input is appreciated.
49 REPLIES 49

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
I had to convert ours back to manual as too many failures occurred for our comfort.
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

FMB
Explorer
Explorer
RVA Jeff wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why not ?
When they first came out with it, it wasn't very reliable. I don't know how reliable they are now.
Back to morning coffee.
FMB
'15 RAM 3500 CTD Laramie Limited 4WD LB
'04 Arctic Fox 24-5N (Raisen) (Gifted in 2018)

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't even know those were an option. Just out of curiosity, why not ? Just not worth the cost ?

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
If I were ordering another new unit......I would not chose the electric dump valves option.
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the in-depth reply...I'm making a detailed punch list of all the things I'm going to specifically look for 🙂

hutchman
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a new 29-5T in February. We have had nothing major go wrong but, they are not built as well as they were 5 or 6 years ago. Northwood is facing the same challenges that all the others face.....how to keep up with demand.

We did have a major issue with the electric 6 pt level system and it was fixed at the factory. Their customer service is outstanding.

Other issues include screws too short for anchoring the window shades, incomplete caulking around shower, loose screws in cabinets, some cabinets not square, hand rail installed out of plumb, bedroom/bathroom floor is not installed square with the main floor, the wall in the bathroom does not fit against the floor a you can see light from below when the storage compartment door is open. I do not believe any of these issues are serious strutural problems but they do make one wonder.

The coach pulls straight and true. We have been in some terrible rain with no sign of any leakage.

We are trading for a RiverStone 39FL this coming Sat. We are trading up for the extra room and the floorplan. If AF offered the 35-5Z with the larger shower, we would have considered it, but they don't. I would buy another one, but not sight unseen. They need to be looked at as carefully as any other brand prior to purchase.
2012 Ram 3500 CCLB dually, auto, Max Tow, 4.10s

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
kotz wrote:
We purchased our Arctic Fox 35-5z new back in November of 2015.
So far the only issues we've had is the window shade pulled out from the wall and a minor propane leak repaired this spring. $100 to repair at a non fox dealer. We've put on just under 20k miles on the unit and have used it in temps between -25 to 105 degrees.
Lived in it between Nov-March in Gillette, Wyoming. Had the unit skirted, and made a noticeable difference in the winter months with the windy conditions of Wyoming. During the winter probably used 80 gallons of propane per month with the furnace set at 65 degrees. Ran the fireplace 16 hrs a day during the coldest times. We were never uncomfortable during these extremes.
I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Well that's good to know..although I don't really plan to camp in arctic temps, it would be nice to know I can. Also, I would assume that as good as these campers seem to be in the winter, they would be just as efficient in the summer when you're trying to keep them cool...

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
allornothing wrote:
RVA Jeff wrote:
Thanks for the input guys....I feel a lot better about this now. Plus I found a dealer in PA (which is not even on their website) who happens to have a 2018 27-5L, so I think I'm going to drive up there over the weekend to see it. Also, I've been looking at other campers in that price range that are that size, and they don't compare, even on paper. For one thing, I haven't found a single 30 foot fifth wheel with dual pane windows....even as an option. Problem is, all the higher end models for companies like Keystone, Heartland, etc. are 35+ feet

Jeff,
What dealer in PA sells AF, I'll be in market next year and their on my short list but I figured I'd have to look elsewhere since there's no dealers around.

Here's the place in PA: https://www.kellyrvinc.com/

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
RVA Jeff wrote:
Njmurvin wrote:
I bought my 2011 27.5L a year ago for about half of what you're talking (to give you an idea of resale values). It took me over a year to find a used one within a 2 hr driving radius. Totally agree about the chair. We have it at home in our family room. It's a tank. You'd better have a 350/3500 to pull it or you'll likely be overloaded. Everything is accessible with slides in except the pantry in the kitchen, one nightstand drawer and 3 drawers under the wardrobe slide. We looked at lots of trailers and, IMHO, the quality on this unit was clearly visible. It's not perfect (hate the fading decals) but I would definitively buy it again.

Thanks for this! For some reason I thought the resale value would be a little higher, just because of the lack of inventory of used 27-5Ls...so you're saying a five model year old camper has already lost half of it's value.I know that's pretty typical of most campers, I just thought Arctic Fox was different. Thanks for the info on room when the slide is in...good to know. I wonder if they've resolved the fading decals in the latter model years....

The trade in value is a set amount more than likely it's wholesale.
What an owner initially pays for the RV determines the balance.
In other words if the buyer paid closer to MSRP and trades it in it will seem like they're not getting as much for it.
RV's do depreciate fast no doubt about that. But buying one for 30+% off MSRP gets you a better deal when selling. And not all dealers are the same.
I recently emailed one dealer and called another about a trading mine in. One wanted to give me $13,000, the other $22,000 on a 4 year old 5th wheel that I paid $32,000 for. Retail is around $24,000 IMO. So point is lots of factors involved when selling/trading in.

I guess supply and demand also has something to do with it. Since they make so few units (relatively speaking) and since few people seem to sell them, seems like a few year old 27-5L would probably be pretty much in demand...especially on the east coast where you can't easily get one even from a dealer

allornothing
Explorer
Explorer
RVA Jeff wrote:
Thanks for the input guys....I feel a lot better about this now. Plus I found a dealer in PA (which is not even on their website) who happens to have a 2018 27-5L, so I think I'm going to drive up there over the weekend to see it. Also, I've been looking at other campers in that price range that are that size, and they don't compare, even on paper. For one thing, I haven't found a single 30 foot fifth wheel with dual pane windows....even as an option. Problem is, all the higher end models for companies like Keystone, Heartland, etc. are 35+ feet

Jeff,
What dealer in PA sells AF, I'll be in market next year and their on my short list but I figured I'd have to look elsewhere since there's no dealers around.

kotz
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased our Arctic Fox 35-5z new back in November of 2015.
So far the only issues we've had is the window shade pulled out from the wall and a minor propane leak repaired this spring. $100 to repair at a non fox dealer. We've put on just under 20k miles on the unit and have used it in temps between -25 to 105 degrees.
Lived in it between Nov-March in Gillette, Wyoming. Had the unit skirted, and made a noticeable difference in the winter months with the windy conditions of Wyoming. During the winter probably used 80 gallons of propane per month with the furnace set at 65 degrees. Ran the fireplace 16 hrs a day during the coldest times. We were never uncomfortable during these extremes.
I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
RVA Jeff wrote:
Njmurvin wrote:
I bought my 2011 27.5L a year ago for about half of what you're talking (to give you an idea of resale values). It took me over a year to find a used one within a 2 hr driving radius. Totally agree about the chair. We have it at home in our family room. It's a tank. You'd better have a 350/3500 to pull it or you'll likely be overloaded. Everything is accessible with slides in except the pantry in the kitchen, one nightstand drawer and 3 drawers under the wardrobe slide. We looked at lots of trailers and, IMHO, the quality on this unit was clearly visible. It's not perfect (hate the fading decals) but I would definitively buy it again.

Thanks for this! For some reason I thought the resale value would be a little higher, just because of the lack of inventory of used 27-5Ls...so you're saying a five model year old camper has already lost half of it's value.I know that's pretty typical of most campers, I just thought Arctic Fox was different. Thanks for the info on room when the slide is in...good to know. I wonder if they've resolved the fading decals in the latter model years....

The trade in value is a set amount more than likely it's wholesale.
What an owner initially pays for the RV determines the balance.
In other words if the buyer paid closer to MSRP and trades it in it will seem like they're not getting as much for it.
RV's do depreciate fast no doubt about that. But buying one for 30+% off MSRP gets you a better deal when selling. And not all dealers are the same.
I recently emailed one dealer and called another about a trading mine in. One wanted to give me $13,000, the other $22,000 on a 4 year old 5th wheel that I paid $32,000 for. Retail is around $24,000 IMO. So point is lots of factors involved when selling/trading in.

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
matt moberg wrote:
We got a 2018 27-5L June 22nd we have pulled it about 1500 miles and slept in it 28 nights about 2/3rds dry camping. We absolutely love this trailer. We had a 2016 Cougar bumper pull last year, we pulled that trailer 11000 miles last year and slept in it a little over 100 nights. There is no comparison between the 2. It was apparent after using the Cougar that hard it wasn't going to hold up. We ordered ours to get the interior we wanted. We deleted the living room mirror and the makeup mirror in the bath also had a receiver hitch installed It took 6 months to get it built. We had one warranty issue that our dealer (Niemeyers in Albertville Mn)took care of. We pull it with a 2016 F-350 Crew cab short box diesel and a Anderson Ultimate hitch. We are going to double pull with our Can Am side by side behind the Fox. We did a 50 mile test double pull today, pulled like a dream.
Thanks/Matt

Awesome info -- that truck is about what I was thinking..Arctic Foxs seem to be a lot heavier per foot than others, presumably because of the higher build quality?

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin wrote:

matt_moberg
Explorer
Explorer
We got a 2018 27-5L June 22nd we have pulled it about 1500 miles and slept in it 28 nights about 2/3rds dry camping. We absolutely love this trailer. We had a 2016 Cougar bumper pull last year, we pulled that trailer 11000 miles last year and slept in it a little over 100 nights. There is no comparison between the 2. It was apparent after using the Cougar that hard it wasn't going to hold up. We ordered ours to get the interior we wanted. We deleted the living room mirror and the makeup mirror in the bath also had a receiver hitch installed It took 6 months to get it built. We had one warranty issue that our dealer (Niemeyers in Albertville Mn)took care of. We pull it with a 2016 F-350 Crew cab short box diesel and a Anderson Ultimate hitch. We are going to double pull with our Can Am side by side behind the Fox. We did a 50 mile test double pull today, pulled like a dream.
Thanks/Matt