cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you dissatisfied enough to change your hitch?

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious if anyone is so dissatisfied with their present 5er hitch that they would go out and spend the money it takes to buy a different hitch.

I see these posts about Anderson, Reese, B&W, etc and I wonder if anyone will spend the money to change their hitch based on such recommendations.

I had a hitch I really liked in my old truck (F250 Powerstroke w/Cody Coupler gooseneck) but the new truck (2500HD Duramax) came with a Reese slider. I have no real complaints and do not think it is worth the $$$$ to change back, unless I could do so for free :D, BUT I do think about it sometimes.

So the question is are there 5er people that are so dissatisfied with their present hitch that they would be willing to spend money to change.

Assuming you did not buy a 16000lb hitch and realized you had a 25000lb trailer 😉

I am not trying to start a debate about one hitch versus another. Lets face it we all pretty much believe the other guy bought the wrong hitch and we bought the right hitch for what ever reason.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat
77 REPLIES 77

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
I had a Reese 20K Signature hitch...what I liked about it was it could move left to right as well as fore and aft...I purchased it in 07' when I purchased 5er in my sig, (went from a 16K, Reese slider hitch, which I had for 6 years....Never had any type issues with either Reese hitch, that's all I've ever owned....(and that goes quite a way's back)....When I purchased the 13', which came with the puck system, none of these hitches that fit into the Ram puck system were around...in fact, it was a chore just to get a picture frame adapter....(weight, 75#)...I got one, and put my Reese 20K Signature hitch on that...so when I removed everything, I took the Reese apart, (removed in two pieces), then fought the picture frame adapter...basically, I just got burned out with doing that...When I saw the B&W, (WELL before my buddy Ron became such a big advocate), I really liked them, but was hesitant to put the money down for it...just liked the idea of only removing 2 pieces instead of 3, (getting harder now that I'm nearing 65:))..
Anyway, had a bonus pop up at work, talked to the wife about it and made the move to the B&W just because of it being easier to remove and put back in.....No B&W fanboy, didn't own one until this year and have only towed a couple of times with it...It does seem to be a little easier, to me, to hook up to, and I didn't have some of the chucking like I did with the Reese, (comparing same roads traveled with same 5er).....Seems like a very good hitch, but so was the Reese....I purchased it more for ease of putting in the bed of the truck and removing it...and feel I got a very good hitch in the process.

So was I "dissatisifed" enough to change my hitch? No....I did it due to the fact I was tired of putting in and taking out 3 heavy pieces of hitch equipment in the bed of my truck. Now only 2 and it does install easier IN MY CASE than the picture frame adapter and then hitch base into that...nothing more....Nothing less.....

I have the same setup as you had, picture frame, and an 18K Reese Signature hitch, long before I bought the Ram, I knew that I was not going to or want to muscle that hitch around in two pieces or a hundred .

A electric hoist installed in the ceiling of my garage is a wonderful thing. Cost a little of a hundred dollars for a harbor freight electric hoist. I found that cheaper then getting a new hitch .

Before the Ram ,and the picture frame it was 5-10 minute removal, now with the picture frame its a 10-15 minute job . all done with the push of a button, I don't lift a think other then the control box of the hoist . Oh ya ,I am nearing 68 , and have never had the desire to lift any part of those hitches :B

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Sometimes i think that Reese gets an unfair shake. Kinda like a dog brawl. One goes down and they all pile on.

I am happier than a pig in you know what with my ole 15K Reese non slider in my short box F 250.

Me too. Very simple and reliable.

Hitch snobs! LOL! :B
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
I am thinking about getting a hitch that will have air ride on it, but probably would rather buy the trailer with a air ride package on it.

I don't have a fifth wheel, but will need to buy a hitch soon, if I go the trailer route. I still am thinking about a motorhome, but have not made up my mind at this point.

Back in the 90's, when I last considered a fifth wheel, the hitch did not rock side to side, like today. And you could not pick 3 mounting styles either. They have become much easier to remove from the truck bed, and you can get a handy device to catch the pin, should it fall out of the hitch for whatever reason.

Good luck,

Fred.

You have the right idea. Go buy a 25K air safe hitch or another quality air hitch and go down the road nice and smooth. Your 5th wheel will like it and your truck will to. I bought my first 5th wheel in 2006. I contacted a friend of mine who had a 5th wheel for the last 23 years while I had a cabover. He had a regular reese hitch till january that year. His exact words were: I am not telling you it is worth the money.But I like the ride. He said that he forgot and left a soap bottle on the kitchen counter at the lake. And when he got home it was still sitting their. I said that is all I wanted to hear. I said to him , why did you buy a 25K hitch when all you needed was a 16K hitch. He said that the 16K did not have the Holland Binkly head. So I bought the 25K air safe hitch and I could not be happier. The only time anything moves in the trailer is if I have to slam on the brakes.

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
Very happy with my Curt.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Personally, I knew diddley-squat about B&W when I bought my Companion. I needed a GN hitch, a FW hitch and wanted a clean bed when I didn't need a hitch. In 2004, there was only one real option, and that was B&W. Do I love my Companion? You bet. Were I to change at this stage, I'd buy the newer model, with more capacity. As it is, I'm looking at getting =lighter= FW, so have no need.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Reese 20K Signature hitch...what I liked about it was it could move left to right as well as fore and aft...I purchased it in 07' when I purchased 5er in my sig, (went from a 16K, Reese slider hitch, which I had for 6 years....Never had any type issues with either Reese hitch, that's all I've ever owned....(and that goes quite a way's back)....When I purchased the 13', which came with the puck system, none of these hitches that fit into the Ram puck system were around...in fact, it was a chore just to get a picture frame adapter....(weight, 75#)...I got one, and put my Reese 20K Signature hitch on that...so when I removed everything, I took the Reese apart, (removed in two pieces), then fought the picture frame adapter...basically, I just got burned out with doing that...When I saw the B&W, (WELL before my buddy Ron became such a big advocate), I really liked them, but was hesitant to put the money down for it...just liked the idea of only removing 2 pieces instead of 3, (getting harder now that I'm nearing 65:))..
Anyway, had a bonus pop up at work, talked to the wife about it and made the move to the B&W just because of it being easier to remove and put back in.....No B&W fanboy, didn't own one until this year and have only towed a couple of times with it...It does seem to be a little easier, to me, to hook up to, and I didn't have some of the chucking like I did with the Reese, (comparing same roads traveled with same 5er).....Seems like a very good hitch, but so was the Reese....I purchased it more for ease of putting in the bed of the truck and removing it...and feel I got a very good hitch in the process.

So was I "dissatisifed" enough to change my hitch? No....I did it due to the fact I was tired of putting in and taking out 3 heavy pieces of hitch equipment in the bed of my truck. Now only 2 and it does install easier IN MY CASE than the picture frame adapter and then hitch base into that...nothing more....Nothing less.....
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ralphnjoann wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Anyone see a pattern here? Had brand X changed to B&W and are very happy. I never see, had B&W changed to brand X and are very happy.

If you like what you have that's great! My comments are directed to people in the market or thinking about changing.

The only pattern I see here is the incessant braying by some B&W owners about the perceived superiority of their hitch. I agree with Lantley's observation that, "...the point of the thread is not which hitch is best. But what would it take to make you change to a different hitch."

"If you like what you have that's great! My comments are directed to people in the market or thinking about changing"

I guess that part did not register with you. Also if you noticed I did say what made me change from a RBW to the B&W several years ago. That was the constant "badgering" of a friend that wanted me to change to a B&W. I did and am still grateful to him every time I tow.

Maybe the people who changed to brand X don't see a need to constantly advertise the fact and then add an altruistic disclaimer.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
up2nogood wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Anyone see a pattern here? Had brand X changed to B&W and are very happy. I never see, had B&W changed to brand X and are very happy.

If you like what you have that's great! My comments are directed to people in the market or thinking about changing.

No doubt the B&W is a great hitch, would I buy it, not a chance. If I was in the market I would get the Andersen long before any B&W hitch. It would be crazy not to get an Andersen. Cost, ease of removal ,strong etc etc.

Bottom line I love the hitch I have ,Reese, it has given me no reason to change. Regardless of your many attempts to discredit Reese hitches.

"If you like what you have that's great! My comments are directed to people in the market or thinking about changing"

I mentioned nothing about REESE.

I have owned REESE products several years ago when they were still US Made. At that time I was happy with their products. No idea deal if I would be happy now with any of their products. I do know what I have read and seen tho and that not the subject at hand.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ralphnjoann wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

The only pattern I see here is the incessant braying by some B&W owners about the perceived superiority of their hitch. I agree with Lantley's observation that, "...the point of the thread is not which hitch is best. But what would it take to make you change to a different hitch."

I guess that part did not register with you. Also if you noticed I did say what made me change from a RBW to the B&W several years ago. That was the constant "badgering" of a friend that wanted me to change to a B&W. I did and am still grateful to him every time I tow.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
I think the point of the thread is not which hitch is best. But what would it take to make you change to a different hitch.
I have a Hensley BD3 air hitch.
On thing I have learned about RV'ing over the years is to get it right the first time vs. upgrading later.
I bought an air hitch because I did not want to find myself needing to upgrade later. I am very satisfied with my hitch.
When the time comes to buy a new truck I may take a look at what the market has to offer in the way of improvements. But like most, I have no intentions of changing from the BD3 hitch I currently have in my truck.

If I ever felt the need to have the air bag hitch it would be the same as yours.. Same top quality as the B&W.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ralphnjoann wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

The only pattern I see here is the incessant braying by some B&W owners about the preceived superiority of their hitch. I agree with Lantley's observation that, "...the point of the thread is not which hitch is best. But what would it take to make you change to a different hitch."

I can tell you without a doubt all the cheerleading in the world won't convince me to buy a B&W. There is nothing superior about a B&W except the high price.

Whats amazing is one long time member fell pray to the B&W hype, with no apparent reason to get rid of his Reese hitch. We can be sheep at times.

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I think the point of the thread is not which hitch is best. But what would it take to make you change to a different hitch.
On thing I have learned about RV'ing over the years is to get it right the first time vs. upgrading later.
I bought an air hitch because I did not want to find myself needing to upgrade later. I am very satisfied with my hitch.
When the time comes to buy a new truck I may take a look at what the market has to offer in the way of improvements. But like most, I have no intentions of changing from the BD3 hitch I currently have in my truck.

I'm sure your hitch works great. I have no experience with hitches ,but the two I've had , both Reese hitches. Got a good buy on a 16K reese sliding hitch, it worked great.Bought a new fifth wheel that was heavier, and wanted a higher rated hitch. Bought a 18K Reese sliding hitch, and have never looked back. MorRyde pin box ,and conventional hitch has been a great combination.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637