Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUXILiARY FUEL TANK

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Good afternoon from chilly central FL.
I know I have asked this question before. I have entered the words in the search box, but no results.
Those of you that have added a AUXILiARY FUEL TANK.
Which one did you purchase?
Did you do the install yourself?
I am giving serious thought of putting one on the tuck this spring.
Your thoughts both pro and con.
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax
122 REPLIES 122

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
Fishwater wrote:
We have a short bed, how many folks are running an auxiliary tank with a short bed? I’m not sure if there’s enough room for a smaller auxiliary tank forward of the hitch?

short bed here 35 gallon i believe is the listed cap. and plenty of room between the tank and hitch.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Please cite the regs that say it's not legal to run a auxiliary diesel fuel tank that is tied into the fuel tank in Texas. I believe you may be misinformed. The only thing I've ever seen about auxiliary fuel tanks that feed into the OEM tank reference only "commercial vehicles".

I can find no references anywhere for Texas. I will admit to being wrong, if I am. But I honestly don't think Texas has any such laws for non-commercial vehicles.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Sheepdog78
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is an older thread, but wanted to push out some info on this. Keep in mind that some States don’t allow for an in bed auxiliary tank to be tied into the fuel system. Texas is one of those States. I know there are plenty of shops that are happy to do it for you, but it’s not legal. With that being said, most officers in Texas are not aware of this law. I have been in law enforcement for nearly 20 years and never knew that, or really had a reason to look. I found out from an Agent with the Comptrollers Office. If you don’t know who they are, ther are the revenuers that keep you from importing goods from low sales tax states into Texas. So, you may find some State Troopers that are aware of this law, but most local and county officers have no clue.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I am running a short box F250 with crew cab. Got a 42 gal aux in the front of the bed. It takes up about 1/2 the space between the hitch and the front of the bed.

Fishwater
Explorer
Explorer
We have a short bed, how many folks are running an auxiliary tank with a short bed? I’m not sure if there’s enough room for a smaller auxiliary tank forward of the hitch?

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks sijohnson1938 for the reply
Brenda and Bill
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Relaxation is what the whole experience is all about."

I think it would be unsafe to be more relaxed. :B

That Long Horn badge on the back of the seat looks like it's a real pain! And I don't like large side bolster seats on long trips.

I am with you, not the seats for me, same seats as in my Laramie, just more leather on the Longhorn .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I think it is to each his own here. I will be hitting the road tomorrow in my F250 with cloth seats.

Leather is not for my behiney and I do not give a flip about the looks or status.

Same seats in my Laramie, as the ones in 12V98, and all I can say is that its one ,and done on those leather seats. IMO they are not comfortable, pretty yes ,comfortable ,no .

My seats in my previous truck a Ford Superduty 350 were cloth ,and again IMO a lot more comfortable then this 2014 Ram I have.

Thought I needed leather interior, I thought wrong in my case . Other options I would rather spend my money on . My son has a 2016 Ram Bighorn cloth interior, by far more comfortable then my Laramie.

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
hi - I did not read all the replies, so I might repeat someone.
I do not have it now, but I got a 100 gallon "L" shape tank from Tractor Supply, also got a 12v pump to transfer tank to tank. Worked great for me.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
tHANK yOU fIREBALL69
Brenda and Bill

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
mt1729 wrote:
I added a 12 volt motorized shut off valve, which I've only needed to use when changing the spin on fuel filter I have inline.
My pickup is diesel. If it was a gasser I would put in a 12 volt transfer pump and eliminate the gravity flow. Safe travels to you.

Why didn't you just put the 12V pump in instead of the shut off?
Simple the shut off valve was just in case of emergency. It was always open. It was a gravity feed. I didn't need a pump. When my factory tank gauge came off full I knew my aux tank was empty. Fill the aux and go. No pumping no fuss no mess. Fill ignore & go.
Moose

Fireball69
Explorer
Explorer
60 gallon RDS with a transfer pump. Added a illuminated toggle switch to the dash. No issues.
Phil and Cathy
Sandhill, MS

2017 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4x4 CC DRW

Sold: 2005 Chevy 2500HD 2WD D/A CC LB
Sold: 2006 Hitchhiker II LS 29.5 FKTG

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you mt1729
Brenda and Bill

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
mt1729 wrote:
I added a 12 volt motorized shut off valve, which I've only needed to use when changing the spin on fuel filter I have inline.
My pickup is diesel. If it was a gasser I would put in a 12 volt transfer pump and eliminate the gravity flow. Safe travels to you.

Why didn't you just put the 12V pump in instead of the shut off?

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
All I can tell you is I love having my 60 gal aux tank. I installed it myself. It has a automatic shut off to keep the factory tank from overflowing. I added a 12 volt motorized shut off valve, which I've only needed to use when changing the spin on fuel filter I have inline. I don't know if it was necessary but I fabricated a vent line hookup in the filler neck of the factory tank & connected it to the vent on the aux tank. With my 35 gal factory & my aux 60 gal I can run 2 days fairly easy when towing. This is the 3rd pickup I've had this same aux tank in. When we feel the need to stop it's nice being able to stop somewhere besides a service station. My pickup is diesel. If it was a gasser I would put in a 12 volt transfer pump and eliminate the gravity flow. Safe travels to you.
Moose