cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Axle Spindle Nut Wrong

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L which has been setting beside the house for 4 years unused due to illness and many other things. Long story short I am repacking wheel bearings to start with, also looking for new tires. This will be first time I have done this myself on all four wheels.
The axle nut on rear left wheel cannot be correct. When I removed the cotter pin I noticed it was bent(twisted) and I actually had to move the nut with wrench to get it out. When I did get it out it came out in two pieces. Now I cannot for the life of me get the new cotter pin to go through. I have moved the nut both ways and the cotter pin will not go through. Is is possible to have a mismatched nut on this spindle? I have ordered a couple different types and hope my suspicions are right.
Thanks in Advance,
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

โ€œGoing to the mountains is going home.โ€ John Muir
9 REPLIES 9

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
Yah, one of the two would have been me ๐Ÿ˜ฎ getting outsmarted by a nut. :R
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Traildust wrote:
Finally received the nut replacement and the new nuts worked ok.:)
Took a little finessing but got the cotter pin in.
Bill

Nut on the right is the problem nut.

I was half expecting to see a picture with two people in it....:B

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
Finally received the nut replacement and the new nuts worked ok.:)
Took a little finessing but got the cotter pin in.
Bill

Nut on the right is the problem nut.

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great suggestions. The hole in the spindle on mine is actually located in the the lower half of the spindle, more closer to the bottom.
I am still confused as to why the left and right sides are different? One cotter pin and other tang washer?
Bill

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've run into this before also. The hole for the cotter pin was not centered. Previous owner had bent the cotter pin into an arc to force it in. The nut only had 6 slots. I went to NAPA and got nuts with 12 slots to allow the key to pass thru easily matching the offset of the hole. Visualize using the slots at 5 and 12 instead of 3 and 6.
Puma 30RKSS

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
OK now I am really confused. The pin fits through the spindle just fine but not when nut is installed. The left front was exactly the same as the left rear? Cotter pin twisted like someone tightened the bolt with pin in so as to get it to go through. The axles on this 5th wheel are Al-Ko now Dexter. Talked to Dexter, took about 5 different people before I found someone who could help. They are sending some different spindle bolts.
What confused me is that the right side is different, it has tang washers instead of cotter pins?? Different spindles with the flat spot for the tang washers. This is not the first time I have ran across something like this with this trailer. It almost like it was the end of a run and they didn't have enough parts to complete it so the just threw in what ever they could find.
Bill

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does the pin go through the spindle with no nut on the end?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Try a nut from another spindle?

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
My guess is that there is still part of the old pin in the hole. Drive a punch through the hole.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500