cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B&W hitch compatibility to Airborne

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Airborne hitch on my DRV and am looking to buy a B&W Fifth Wheel hitch. Does anyone have this Airborne hitch? Do you just have to take out the wedge to use it? Here is a link to a picture of it:

Click For Full-Size Image.

First time I have tried to include a picture. Let me know if this doesn't work!
Charles
Chuck
11 REPLIES 11

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
OK. Don't have a truck with the OEM prep, so was only going by my old-style Companion's instructions.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Chuck .. wrote:
I have an Airborne hitch on my DRV and am looking to buy a B&W Fifth Wheel hitch. Does anyone have this Airborne hitch? Do you just have to take out the wedge to use it? Here is a link to a picture of it:

Charles

B&W will not warrant, and discourages using, their hitches with any hitch that moves the pin swing point off the center of the hitch head...period!

Lyle

Although I am not a big fan of the B&W after seeing one lose it's head you are partly wrong about not being able to use a Sidewinder with a B&W.

If the B&W is one of the puck mounted Companion hitches or rail mounted Patriot hitches B&W will allow the Sidewinder.

It is only the older B&W Companion turnover ball mounted hitches that has a problem with the Sidewinder.

I do not understand why B&W did not give the puck mounted hitches a different name than the Companion. Makes for confusion as the puck system is worlds better than the turnover ball system.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Charles I highly advise selling your pin box and getting a MORryde or TrailAire unit and getting a B&W RVK3600. I assume your pin box is designed for a short bed truck?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
I think I have one of those "SideWinder" Models. I read were a lot of people highly rate B&W hitches and was hoping to purchase one. Any suggestion on a new hitch that might work? Not for sure how to send a picture, but I bet it is a sidewinder.

Charles
Chuck

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
All that scary talk above about 5th Airborne ONLY APPLIES TO THE SIDEWINDER model. The standard 5th Airborne works just like any standard pin box, except that it has an airbag and shock to absorb the up and down motion between the trailer and truck. I have had a 5th Airborne for years and use it on a B & W Hitch and it works great. If you read the B & W instructions, it addresses only those pin boxes that are designed to swivel (like the Sidewinder) to accommodate short bed trucks.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

strawec
Explorer
Explorer
Works for me.
Evan
Evan&Carolyn
2007 Dodge 3500 SLT,6.7,68rfe,Quad Cab,Dually,Lb
2007 Escalade 36 KSB
Podigy
B&W Combo
Porta bote , Rand Mcnally GPS

High5er
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I would DUMP that AirBorn and get a MORryde pin box or TrailAire with air bag.

In defense of the Airborne (Which I own) It is an amazing pin box if used in the correct configuration. (Especially if you have a short box truck.) I recommend the Reese Titan hitch if you plan on using the wedge. Very sturdy and removes easily in 2 pieces when you need room in your bed for hauling other things.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chuck .. wrote:
I will contact Reese to ask for advice.

What Hitch would you recommend for a Air Borne system on a existing 5th wheel.?

I would DUMP that AirBorn and get a MORryde pin box or TrailAire with air bag.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
I will contact Reese to ask for advice.

What Hitch would you recommend for a Air Borne system on a existing 5th wheel.?
Chuck

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Chuck .. wrote:

Charles

B&W will not warrant, and discourages using, their hitches with any hitch that moves the pin swing point off the center of the hitch head...period!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

High5er
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my gosh! Be VERY careful with what you are doing!!! That Airborne has a wedge which means that the turret pivots. If you remove that wedge and hook it up to a normal hitch without locking the turret you will have catastrophic consequences! Please look up the Reese instruction manual before attempting to tow your 5th wheel without that wedge. General rule is if you remove the wedge you MUST lock the turret with 2 large lockout bolts which in turn prevents the turret from pivoting. And just the opposite when you leave the wedge on you MUST make that the turret is NOT locked by the same 2 bolts. This is extremely important!