cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

every week its something

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
Last week my hd antenna work perfect, now this week set up at camp site and nothing. Wont pick up one station as if something has come disconnected. Every week there are problems kinda getting sick of it but I guess that part of it. Keeps me busy
12 REPLIES 12

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:
Digital TV signals s--k....

I'll second that. I have a Mohu Leaf "60 mile" antenna for one of my TVs and live in a wood-frame house. It consistently won't pick up 2 of the local broadcast stations here in PHX. Oh, we're about 9 miles from the "antenna farm" for the entire Valley, with easy LOS to them, especially as they're about 1000' higher than our house.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
Ya scan 3 times went to roof all tight ,tight behind tv, tv works on dish, and yes I swith over to mdi connections on remote and then back to tv to scan. I have done it many times it must be a connection behind the walls in the storage compartment has come loose. Going to ask fellow campers if they are getting reception maybe it is we are in a bad spot.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
On one cable the pin was just the tiniest distance too short to make a good connection when I screwed it on. I put pliers onto the center pin, and pulled another 1/8th of an inch out of the cable. Ya just never know what will happen next.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Recently I had to go up on the roof and tighten the coax cable connection on the antennae. It loosened up over time.

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
If you are at a different campground from your last stop be sure and scan for the channels again with the TV after pointing the antenna in the direction you need it to be.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Mine has a quick doscnnect type connection on the back of the TV. It likes to fall out on rough roads.

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
Digital TV signals s--k....
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
When I am on the road I use this handy tower locator so I know if I am pointing in the right direction:

https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html

NOTE: I have been in a few campgrounds that had terrible reception despite proximity to tower. (cell signal non-existent as well).
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
lee worsdell wrote:
Lots of big cities around and yes booster is on. Ya have been doing this for awhile now just gets frustrating.

In that case, the "work" now starts to track down the problem.

First, can you check your television to make sure it's not the coax cable connection at the back of the television. We had to replace the original television that came with our camper because all the bouncing around (television was fixed in position), caused the coax wire to bounce and wiggle. All that wiggling ended up breaking the connection on the back of the television. If you touched it, the signal would come it, work for a while, and then next destination, it wouldn't work again. We ended up bringing that television into the house and mounted it on our bedroom wall where that wire does not wiggle any more. Meanwhile, the new television in the camper works just fine now. But we do take it down when traveling now.

Next, check at the antenna booster. Unscrew it from the wall or ceiling, and look at the back. Make sure none of the coax wires have little fine wires extending out of the connector, enabling them to touch anything. It's possible traveling, they are wiggling and the little fine wires are touching each other sometimes.

Here again, our first TT did not get reception at all, even when brand new. I ended up removing the booster from the ceiling and all the coax wires were very sloppy. Frayed ends touching each other and everything a mess. I unscrewed each one, one by one, and clean them up and then tightened them down good and snug again. It also had a second connection in a different room. I check it also, and there again, the wires were sloppy. I clean them up too. Got everything re-attached and the television worked great. Never had another issue.

One more thing you should check, is the coax connection at the antenna. If it's wiggled loose, that could be causing your intermittent problem too.

If this does not help, then either the antenna is bad somehow (can't imagine that though), or you've got a broken wire somewhere (can't imagine that either).

Good luck!

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of big cities around and yes booster is on. Ya have been doing this for awhile now just gets frustrating.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Like Dutchmen Sport said you could be in a no reception area. If you have a smart phone, there are a couple of apps that show what TV channels you should be able to get and what direction they come from.
As for a problem coming up every time you turn around, that is part and parcel of the RVing lifestyle. Things get shook loose/disconnected or just break. If you were dragging your stick and brick down the highway, you would have similar problems.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Are you at a different campground now? It could be you are in a pocketed area that does not have reception, like in a valley, thick trees, or near power lines that can block the the signal?

Did you push the little black button on your antenna booster?