cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up for a new RV driver

andybal1
Explorer
Explorer
I observed, when doing a terrible job backing into my driveway with our new 5th wheel (Gulf Stream Prarie Schooner 2007) that the first set of wheels on the camper did not stay straight up and down.

I haven't seen many 5th wheelers park, and maybe I was cutting it too much, but should the front set of tires (2 axles) be angled as I turn? They came back to up and down at the end, but is this something to worry about - is it something that will break the axle or limit the life?

I'm pretty much a worrier, as you can see.
13 REPLIES 13

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
As others had noted make sure that the plug is all the way in and that the spring on the plug outlet cover door is working to keep it closed & against the plug "latch".

Also if you are using the plug on the bumper make sure that there is no hitch in the receiver (if you have one). The pigtail / cord of the fifth wheel can catch on a trailer ball hitch if left in... esp. when backing and pull out. Had that problem on my last truck..

All comes with practice..............

JohnG3
Explorer II
Explorer II
katmann343 wrote:
Always use a ball bunge on the light hook up and when the fiver is hooked the hitch leaver is padlocked...

X2 on the hitch lever lock. That and a visual check when returning as a learned habit. Some of us even look at the pins holding the hitch to the bed rails as I found one out of it's home one time first stop on a trip and neither of us had been more than a few feet away from the truck/trailer on that stop (just to give you something else to check).
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RustyJC wrote:
andybal1 wrote:
I'll worry more that my brake connector disconnected from my 7-way near the end of my test drive.

The flip-up lid on your Pollak-type 7-way receptacle should have a lip on it that engages a tab on the plug on your trailer's umbilical. Be sure the plug is pushed in far enough for the lip to slip over the tab. If these are engaged, the plug shouldn't come out under anything approaching normal circumstances.

Rusty

That cover should be spring loaded to shut, if not replace the housing and cover.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

katmann343
Explorer
Explorer
Always use a ball bunge on the light hook up and when the fiver is hooked the hitch leaver is padlocked...
2006 F 350 PSD King Ranch
2004 Hitchhiker II LS UKTG

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
andybal1 wrote:
I'll worry more that my brake connector disconnected from my 7-way near the end of my test drive.

The flip-up lid on your Pollak-type 7-way receptacle should have a lip on it that engages a tab on the plug on your trailer's umbilical. Be sure the plug is pushed in far enough for the lip to slip over the tab. If these are engaged, the plug shouldn't come out under anything approaching normal circumstances.

Rusty

That's not a good feeling, going to stop and tbe trailer pushes you. I was hauling my tractor in December and I apparently did not seat the plug fully. Went to stop at a red light and hello , the trailer pushed me into the intersection. Luckily nobody was coming and short of needing to change my shorts all was good. Pulled over and the cord was barely plugged in. Lesson learned.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

FiverBob
Explorer
Explorer
andybal1 wrote:

I have always checked my cap carefully to make sure it hooked. The second time I had no brakes and found the cap had popped up, I figured I needed to do something. From that time on I have always anchored by lid down with a bungy cord. I carry a short bungy - - the kind with a marble on it - - and go around the plug and lid with the bungy. Never has come off since. It also is quite obvious when you peak over the side of the bed if someone has played tricks on you by pulling your plug while you were in having lunch. The other fun one is when they release your lever on your hitch - -ggggrrrrrr.

Bob
2003 Dodge 3500 HO dually 6 speed Laramie, Jordan Controller, RDS aux tank/tool box, Bremen boards, RamAirIII, Jacobs EBrake, Air Safe 25K hitch
Carriage 36' Triple slide Fiver, Onan Gen, Sat, Prosine Inv., MORryd IS and pinbox

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
andybal1 wrote:

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

andybal1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks - it looked freakish. I still assume that tire wear will be greater, especially since it slides one or the other set, but I'll worry less about it.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, as noted by others, take the torque of the tires by pulling forward then backing a little to straighten them out, once in your spot.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
The wheels shouldn't have moved much, but the tires do.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I've seen a couple guys carry a bucket of sand that they'll toss under the tires when making very tight turns into a spot. Just helps the tires skid a little easier.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Yeah, worried me too the first time I saw it. But after you get the trailer straightened up and move another foot or so, the wheels will straighten also. If you need to, you can pull forward a couple feet and backup a couple feet for further straightening.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
andybal1 wrote:
I observed, when doing a terrible job backing into my driveway with our new 5th wheel (Gulf Stream Prarie Schooner 2007) that the first set of wheels on the camper did not stay straight up and down.

I haven't seen many 5th wheelers park, and maybe I was cutting it too much, but should the front set of tires (2 axles) be angled as I turn? They came back to up and down at the end, but is this something to worry about - is it something that will break the axle or limit the life?

I'm pretty much a worrier, as you can see.

It's normal. It looks even worse when you have the wide track axle spacing. My TT tires had close to 1' between them as opposed to my 5er tires which are only 2-1/2" apart. Both look wacked out when turning. But the TT looked worse.