cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bathroom exhaust fan

IHnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tried to wire the exhaust fan in the bath to come on with the light? My wife is too short (err - vertically challenged) to reach the fan switch in the vent to either turn it ON or OFF. I thought if I could wire it to come on with the light switch it would be easier for her to clear the air, so to speak. Suggestions????
2016 Sprinter 269FWRLS 33' 5th-wheel
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Crew-Cab
1954 IH R-112
1955 IH R132
1965 IH D1100
1954 IH Farmall Super M
Amateur "General Class" WD9GLK
10 REPLIES 10

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I changed ours out. Got one that is completely quite and came with remote control.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
I am surprised your fan doesn't have a separate switch, our 2012 Jayco HT has two switched right inside the bathroom door, one takes care of the lights and one takes care of the fan, although the fan also has a switch on it up near the ceiling. But, should be fairly easy to do, if you are fairly handy, to put in a fan switch next to the light switch. Not for me, but for a handy person.
John A. Lichty

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is just 5', but even though I installed the Vortex fan, the wife says there is no issue as her "poop" don't stink.:R

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this thread offers some ideas:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29064393.cfm
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
See some of the suggestions in this thread.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
My short wife uses a sawed off broom handle to reach the switch. Eighteen inches works for her. Cut yours off to the length that works for your wife.

Lakeside

olpops
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Haven't done that, but did discover that wiring for bath lights and fan generally all come from the same source. Seems to me that its just a case of wire tracing. The switch should be able to handle the extra load OK.

I had the same issue
Replaced the factory fan switch with a pull switch and chain long enough for DW to easily reach

Working great and an easy fix

Good luck!!
Don't Worry, Be Happy

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is an old thread that may give you some ideas, near the bottom of the first page,the VORTEX fan is a great replacement and easy to install.

VORTEX Fan Install.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't fish the wire, so I just made a stick from a piece of plastic water pipe and a cap, so that DW(short) can push the on/off button. Other end is notched to raise and lower the vent cover. The stick also works when you are sitting on the john, and realize the need to open the vent and turn on the fan. Hangs on a hook next to the john. Then you could just install the power vent with a remote.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't done that, but did discover that wiring for bath lights and fan generally all come from the same source. Seems to me that its just a case of wire tracing. The switch should be able to handle the extra load OK.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.