Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery bank in 5er

bacil
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

yet another question, how big is your battery bank ?

The reason for the question is simple, if you want to dry camp or boondock and have your fridge/ac/micro (the biggest consumers) that would drain batteries well under one day so how do you go about it ?

I know dont use AC/microwave is a solution but that doesnt apply to the fridge especially if you have one of these residential units.
36 REPLIES 36

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
When installing our solar I doubled the AH of our battery bank going from 2-6v wet cells to 4-6v lLofeline AGMs. It gives us about 440AH capacity I relocated the battery bank to an unused area that has plumbing vent lines which were partitioned off and not the easiest to get to for everyday storage.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bacil wrote:
padredw wrote:
boondock and have your fridge/ac/micro

The first thing is to realize and accept the fact that using the AC off the batteries is not a reasonable expectation. The battery bank would be far too heavy for a fifth-wheel to be able to run the air conditioner for any significant amount of time. I'd even be very conservative about using the microwave. But the MV is used for short periods of time. If the AC is needed it would be run continuously.

It is the refrigerator which would be a large factor in determining the capacity of the battery bank. (my opinions)

Absolutely agree, i just did my math and i would need close to 800Ah to run the domestic fridge and some other appliances and allow for 50% discharge on batteries between the charges (daily) from geny as i dont think solar is capable to do this alone.

Check out my cousin's husband's bus rebuild at http://www.beginningfromthismorning.com/. They're going with a 98% electric configuration, with propane only used for the water heater. Electrics come from 3500 watts of solar and 3200+ Amp hours of battery storage. Battery is from a Nissan Leaf, plus one extra module to provide the proper voltage. He gives excellent details on everything they're doing. Last project was a complete new dash with an added tach and a GPS-enabled speedometer! :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

bacil
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:

The first thing is to realize and accept the fact that using the AC off the batteries is not a reasonable expectation. The battery bank would be far too heavy for a fifth-wheel to be able to run the air conditioner for any significant amount of time. I'd even be very conservative about using the microwave. But the MV is used for short periods of time. If the AC is needed it would be run continuously.

It is the refrigerator which would be a large factor in determining the capacity of the battery bank. (my opinions)

Absolutely agree, i just did my math and i would need close to 800Ah to run the domestic fridge and some other appliances and allow for 50% discharge on batteries between the charges (daily) from geny as i dont think solar is capable to do this alone.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
household refer and inverter2009

residential fridge- boondocking 09
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

padredw
Nomad
Nomad

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two most important things to look for in any unit if planning on doing any dry camping are water capacity & the size of the battery bank, or space to increase the size of the battery bank.

These days most builders don't seem to place much importance on either one.

My 32' boat has 5 group 31 gel cell batterys which through switching are arranged in 3 individual banks or combined to be 1. Not so with a typical towable RV. Accommodation is only for a couple of 6V GC batterys, a couple of group 27 12V batterys or a single 4D, possibly a single 8D battery.

Not much space for a battery bank so a method of recharging is required. For most this means a small generator for quick charging or solar which is much slower & dependent on exposure to the sun. Some of us like shaded camping.

The cheap wet cell battery that the majority use needs exposure to open air so that poisonous & flammable gas can safely vent. Changing & expanding the battery bank to a non venting sealed type such as AGMs allows you to place batterys anywhere you please, including inside the living spaces if you wish.

AGMs are not cheap but they have a very long service life. I have a 4D AGM coming up on its 8th season. No life ending signs yet.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

I have 2 of the 12V Lifeline group 31 AGM batteries wired in parallel. I do not do a whole lot of boondocking, but when I do, I run the generator to charge the batteries if need be.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet