cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

battery drain while hooked to shore

dlowr31733
Explorer
Explorer
put new battery in a few weeks ago. unit has been parked in yard connectd to shore power. today, no power to let out slides, no landing gears etc. charged battery, back in business. what is wrong?
9 REPLIES 9

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
All your symptoms are pointing to a defective converter. I don't know where your's is located, but if you haven't found it yet, you still haven't checked the fuses on it. Depending on model, there are one or two fuses that are directly attached to the converter. Here's how to trouble shoot after you've found it:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
2. Disconnect from shore power
3. Locate the converter, remove any retaining screws and pull it out of any enclosed housing.
4. Make sure that no AC or DC wires are shorted to anything in the coach.
5. Plug back into shore power. BE CAREFUL!!!
6. Using a volt meter, set it on DC, and check to see if there is 12-14V on the output of the converter.
7. If there is no 12V output, then disconnect once again from shore power. Pull the reverse polarity fuses and check them with your meter. If the fuses are bad, replace them.
8. If the fuses are okay, your converter is defective and needs replacing.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

dlowr31733
Explorer
Explorer
Lyle, made that mistake one time before so i did know to check that. can't find converter but everything else checks out.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
If there's a battery disconnect switch, make sure it's ON! On my FW, at least, if the switch is OFF, there is zero 12v to the entire coach, except for the landing legs. This includes the 12v OUTPUT from the converter. I found this out the hard way. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
dlowr31733 wrote:
checked all circuit breakers and fuses i found, all check out. anyone know where converter is on coachman chapparal 2012 model. owners manual no help. battery was dead again this am.

On my rig, I had to pull the fuse/breaker panel to access the converter.

dlowr31733
Explorer
Explorer
checked all circuit breakers and fuses i found, all check out. anyone know where converter is on coachman chapparal 2012 model. owners manual no help. battery was dead again this am.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
The fuses on the converter are usually not accessible without pulling the converter out of the housing. Unplug before accessing the fuses.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

dlowr31733
Explorer
Explorer
i will check fuses in the am thanks.

Showme_5vr
Explorer
Explorer
You might check the converter to make sure there aren't a couple of blown fuses. If you accidentally tried to hook up the battery backwards a couple of fuses may have blown. Don't ask me how I know ๐Ÿ™‚
Steve & Judy 2023 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Crew Cab LWB, 2017 Grand Design Reflections 337RLS
Lifetime Good Sam Member

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Check the output on the converter. Make sure the polarity is correct on the battery.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.