cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best brand 5th wheel

fireboat0203
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, I have just bought a new f250 diesel and I am looking for a 5th wheel camper. Most reviews for the brands that I have been looking at are described as junk. What is the best brand for quality? Recommendations anyone?
84 REPLIES 84

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
GBuilders wrote:
I was at my dealer last week having a few things done that I didnโ€™t want to mess with. I decided to look at some of the new models. After looking at 6 from Jayco, Montana, Grand Design and others I ask my service manager I have known for about 12 years, are the quality as good as my 05 Jayco Eagle and he said no way. Look at our service center and all the new units from the very high end to the low end stacked up waiting to be serviced. 90 % of the units were within 2 years old or newer he said. All the manufactures are building these units this way now.
I have thought over the last few years about selling mine and upgrading to a new model but I just donโ€™t have any problems with mine and itโ€™s 32โ€™ not 38 or 40 like so many of the new units are. I decided to keep mine and not be the envie of the RV Park.

Exactly what the service techs said at the place we purchased our FW. Love the quality of our 2011 model and would not buy new again today.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"An apparently common myth, which belongs right alongside Lippert owning Reese."

How about Ford owning CUMMINS!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

GBuilders
Explorer
Explorer
I was at my dealer last week having a few things done that I didnโ€™t want to mess with. I decided to look at some of the new models. After looking at 6 from Jayco, Montana, Grand Design and others I ask my service manager I have known for about 12 years, are the quality as good as my 05 Jayco Eagle and he said no way. Look at our service center and all the new units from the very high end to the low end stacked up waiting to be serviced. 90 % of the units were within 2 years old or newer he said. All the manufactures are building these units this way now.
I have thought over the last few years about selling mine and upgrading to a new model but I just donโ€™t have any problems with mine and itโ€™s 32โ€™ not 38 or 40 like so many of the new units are. I decided to keep mine and not be the envie of the RV Park.
2005 Jayco Eagle 305 BHS 5th wheel

New truck: 2019 Ford F-250 power stroke platinum 4x4

Former truck: 2014 Ram Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4 6.7/Aisin 6 speed 3:73

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I can't say for sure if this is the best brand, but I was quite satisfied with my 2007 29' NuWa Hitchhiker. There were no major problems and it was my full-time home until 4 years ago, when I had to leave RVing due to a sudden disability. I towed it with a one-ton Dodge Ram truck, and the combination handled very well. I'm not sure if NuWa is still selling new fivers, but pretty sure they're now selling refurbished ones.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Quality and weight....have a price!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
With quality comes weight. A 41' Grand Design Solitude weighs 13500 lbs.
A similar length Mobile suite is 18000 lbs
Luxe ..... 19000 lbs
New Horizons ..... 21000 lbs
Continental Coach 26000 lbs.

But each of those mentioned are in a much higher price range too.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
With quality comes weight. A 41' Grand Design Solitude weighs 13500 lbs.
A similar length Mobile suite is 18000 lbs
Luxe ..... 19000 lbs
New Horizons ..... 21000 lbs
Continental Coach 26000 lbs.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
zoro58 wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
From our recent shopping experience, I'd have to say that GD is comparable in interior quality to other manufacturers in the same price range. They are far better than those in the lower price ranges, but not nearly as good as those that are in the higher price ranges. My observation of this may differ from someone else's observation because we might place more worth in certain things over others.

Our new GD has Dexter axles, rather than the Lippert axles they were using just a year earlier. Now some folks may still question the current quality of Dexter components, but when/if something breaks, I know I can find parts almost anywhere.

Lippert owns Dexter

An apparently common myth, which belongs right alongside Lippert owning Reese.

Dexter acquired a frame/chassis component company, which became a separate division that was later acquired by Lippert. There is no relation to the Dexter axle and brake division.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb wrote:
zoro58 wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
From our recent shopping experience, I'd have to say that GD is comparable in interior quality to other manufacturers in the same price range. They are far better than those in the lower price ranges, but not nearly as good as those that are in the higher price ranges. My observation of this may differ from someone else's observation because we might place more worth in certain things over others.

Our new GD has Dexter axles, rather than the Lippert axles they were using just a year earlier. Now some folks may still question the current quality of Dexter components, but when/if something breaks, I know I can find parts almost anywhere.

Lippert owns Dexter

As best I can determine, Lippert bought the chassis division of Dexter, โ€œNOTโ€ Dexter Axle!

Correct. Lippert bought out Dexters frame division and most every other frame builder in northern IN in the early 2010's.

We had a 2013 Keystone 235. A close friend had a 2012 Keystone 235. His had a pre Lippert frame by Dexter, ours had a post Lippert frame built in the same plant that Lippert obtained in the acquisition of Dexters frame division. Our 2013 frame was a total joke compared to his 2012, not only in the materials, but the construction. The welding may have been done by the Elkardt Elementary School morning Kindergarten craft class.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
zoro58 wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:

Lippert owns Dexter

As best I can determine, Lippert bought the chassis division of Dexter, โ€œNOTโ€ Dexter Axle!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

zoro58
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:

Lippert owns Dexter

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
justme wrote:
Look for specifics for recomendations and be weary of brand loyalty. Be clear as to what you need and watch out for emotional response---

Choosing an RV would be =so= much easier if the mfrs would release at least half-way readable numbers. All we really want is 1) how many did they produce; 2) how many needed a) zero warranty work, b) "minor" warranty work, say under $2,000 total repairs, c) "major" warranty work, over $2,000 total, d) factory buy-backs. Also, what the "major" and buy-back claims entailed, at least generally. I know, I know, I got into the 'shrooms again...

Lyle

For our own good....they shield us from the truth! ??
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
justme wrote:
Look for specifics for recomendations and be weary of brand loyalty. Be clear as to what you need and watch out for emotional response---

Choosing an RV would be =so= much easier if the mfrs would release at least half-way readable numbers. All we really want is 1) how many did they produce; 2) how many needed a) zero warranty work, b) "minor" warranty work, say under $2,000 total repairs, c) "major" warranty work, over $2,000 total, d) factory buy-backs. Also, what the "major" and buy-back claims entailed, at least generally. I know, I know, I got into the 'shrooms again...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

justme
Explorer
Explorer

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:

I won't deny a down turn is coming and as history has shown it's over due. Everyone seems to be jumping on the 'Worst crash ever' bandwagon. I guess we won't know until it gets here. If we do have a big crash I still don't think that will make the RV industry change gears. I'm not convinced that they want to flip things around and go a different way. It would cost millions to retool and without incoming revenue from poor sales during a crash or even several year after, I think they'll just continue with business as usual.

It doesn't need to be a big crash, just a run of the mill normal market correction, or even a 20 to 30% long term uptick in fuel prices. RV's are a by product of the holding companies main business which is making money. That's why the entire industry operates on the piecework labor model in pre engineered disposable plants, which are usually leased.

All one needs to look at is historical wholesale shipments at the RVIA web rag and compare that to the economic indicators of the same point in time.

As soon as the markets correct, and the vast majority of boomers see how even the smallest correction affects their 401Ks and other retirement investments, RV sales will be the first thing to bite the dust. The holding companies already have their strategy planned out, you can bet your rear end on that. Hence the acquisitions where you now have two holding groups with a combined 85% +/- share of the RV market. When it happens there will be an instant shortage of plywood in Indiana, as it will all be bought up to make the "for sale or lease" signs to place in front of the plants due to excess manufacturing capacity.

This supposed "RV sales boom" is trumped up by the RV Industry Association through things like the GORVing campaign and RVbusiness daily. The reality of it is it's not a boom, it's a bubble, and bubbles always pop eventually. Sales of RVs during this boom have not even kept pace with population increase. The number of registered RV's in the US is a proven constant.

When someone comes along and points out the real scenario in a way that gains some traction, they are then silenced by the deep pockets of the RVIA. Greg Gerber being bought out of RV Daily report is a prime example. It's now an RVIA cheerleading rag just like RVbusiness. Who do you think does the lobbying to keep lemon laws off the books where RV's are concerned?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?