cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Pin Box?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since we had such a great discussion about hitches, what's the consensus on the best pin box?
18 REPLIES 18

We went from the standard pin box... to the Lippert Tri-Glide... to the Lippert Flex Air... to the MORryde..

MY OPINION is that the Morryde is far better of a pin box....

The Tri-glide was nice but was a PITA to keep up with, MOST don't even know about the grease zerks UNDER the darn thing.... And it lost air every once in a while... They were also prone to failure...

My Tri-glide was replaced for FREE by Lippert due to failure..

The Flex Air was the Tri-glide without those roller pins to fail.... That too was ok, but would also loose air..

The Morryde is just a NICE smooth ride.... with very little maintenance..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know if anyone can tell you what the 'best' is, but 2.5 years ago our trailer was towing just fine with the standard pinbox, but I was concerned when hearing about people having frame problems, so I looked into the different pinboxes, and decided on the Lippert Trailair. I can watch the shock absorber in action in my rearview mirror floating in the truck bed. It holds air very well and use it with a Demco Autoslide hitch.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will get a lot of "opinions" on this, and many will be from a person with experience of the only pin box they have ever had on their first trailer. We have had several 5ers with different pin boxes. Some have had a rigid pin box. The current trailer had a Demco Glide Ride.

With the Demco, it reduces chucking but the links need replacing after about 20,000 to 30,000 miles. The link bushings wear and you start to get clunking when you start or stop, and it has some side play. We are using a Trailer Saver TS3 air ride hitch in the truck.

The best pin box we have had was a Mor/Ryde pin box. It helps to reduce chucking and is durable.
https://www.morryde.com/products/rubber-pin-box/

Some people who use the air ride pin boxes are happy with them, but it stays with the trailer when you sell it. With an air ride hitch, you can use it in different trucks and different trailers.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
I'll kick this one off. I have a Reese 5th Airborne 20K for our 2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L. As long as it will hold air it's performed well for us. No chucking, bouncing . I also have the B&W Companion hitch which helps also. I will have to admit we don't put as many miles on it as a lot of folks here might, maybe 2000 a year. Good Luck
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

โ€œGoing to the mountains is going home.โ€ John Muir