cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best resale value toy hauler or tt

Bobmane
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone give me a short list based on best resale value of a tt or the? I want to buy big only use for a couple years
14 REPLIES 14

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Bought our ATC 28 front bedroom with 5.5 gen in 2017 for well under 45k. Not sure on value today but new it's close to 90k.
Tempting to see what it would bring in this crazy market.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the things you have to think about is what is it worth to you. Right now the RV market is at is highest levels ever. People are selling junk RV's for top dollar. My unit is worth more now than it was when I bought it 5 years ago. So, buying at the top of the market, then trying to sell in a couple years when the market crashes, might be a great way to lose lots of money. So, there is not a good choice in this RV market, just good or bad timing.

Since the RV market is going crazy and people are realizing they can only use there RV's mid week and all the campgrounds are booked months in advance. Wait until people go to book next summers trips and they are all booked up by September or October. Then they try to store them over the winter and storage lots are full or charging more than they thought, then the used RV's will start to flood the market.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jdc1 wrote:
I would think the one that is the most beat up when bought would hold it's value more. Buy it cheap...sell it cheap. Let's do a little math:
Buy a new one for $30K...resell in two years is 60% = $18,000 HUGE loss
Buy a decent used one for $16K...resell in two years = $12k $4k loss
Buy a piece of **** for $4,000.....resell it for $3k winner, winner, chicken dinner

Okay. That's not what you were looking for...

But you are absolutely correct. The only variables are the market when buying and when selling and how the person takes care of their RV. Remember, if X % of the used RVs out there are ill kept , then X % of RVs bought will be bought by people too dumb or lazy to take care of theirs as well.
In which case, youโ€™re still correct and the $4k RV wins for resale regardless of who owns it! Side bonus, you could probably slide right into homeless camps and mooch a spot easily with a $4k camper as well!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think the one that is the most beat up when bought would hold it's value more. Buy it cheap...sell it cheap. Let's do a little math:
Buy a new one for $30K...resell in two years is 60% = $18,000 HUGE loss
Buy a decent used one for $16K...resell in two years = $12k $4k loss
Buy a piece of **** for $4,000.....resell it for $3k winner, winner, chicken dinner

Okay. That's not what you were looking for...

Y-Guy
Reality is the value drops like a rock when you pull off the lot. Best resale IMHO for a Toy Hauler are going to be some of the more popular brands like Grand Design Momentum line up and the Keystone Fuzion tend be popular when I see them come up for sale around my area. If you are going to keep for a couple years would you consider buying used? The downside to new is that the first six months to a year is when problems show up, and need attention. That can take time out of trips if you buy and immediately hit the road.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Has nothing to do with resale value. Different type of RV. Different customer base.

/\ /\ /\ this I wouldn't have one of them if it was free. Doesn't meet my needs. Question is which one am I speaking of?
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Which type has the greatest demand in the new market. Itwuld seem to me TT's are more desirable in the new market simply because they appeal to a broader audience vs. a Toy haulrer that appeals only to those yat haul something.
I imagine there are regions where toyhaulers are very desirable because they are near popular places to ride, but overall TT's are more in demand because they fit the needs of all vs. just those with toys.

Has nothing to do with resale value. Different type of RV. Different customer base.

To some degree you are right. Price will be based on condition.
But a TT simply has more market share than any other type of RV hence more demand.
Does that additional demand equate to a higher resale price?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
Toy haulers are popular for bicycles hauling, dogs, a young family with lots of toys for the brats ect. One fellow used the garage as an office. I've had them all and even when I don't have toys to haul I prefer the open toy hauler lay out. You can even roll a wheel chair up the back ramp, most have gas generators which are great for short stops on the road too. I've had a few RV's, the last two have been 5th wheel toy haulers. I haven't even put the motorcycle in this last one, but its great for the 130 pound dog. He sleeps in the back, no carpet is great. You can lower the ramp and make it an outdoor patio.

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
I believe condition rather than type is far more important for resale. RVs are like most carsโ€ฆ.the original owner takes a beating on depreciation. As for the TH discussion, while we full-time and haul our motorcycle, Iโ€™ve been seeing an increasing number of THs not hauling toys, but being turned into living space for kiddos, or offices for those still working. As for predicting the future, remember that the current market will change once covid is over and people have to settle into a more traditional lifestyle. Iโ€™d expect there to be a glut of used rigs on the market in 2023 and behind. We will see.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP I donโ€™t believe the resale is generally better with one or the other.
To Lantleys point I could say the opposite and say there are sooo many TTs vs THs that the used market is softer or more diluted. But thatโ€™s not really the case either.

If anything, a TH may have a greater audience considering one. Canโ€™t use a TT as a TH but CAN use a TH as a TT.

You didnโ€™t ask for opinions on which is โ€œbetterโ€ , but Iโ€™ll share my thoughts. I was after THs only. Have toys to put in it but may not ever even do that. The advantages to me:
Heavy tongue weight, light in the rear (no toys). = pulls arrow straight and less tail wag due to further aft axle placement and open space in the rear. No wdh or sway even remotely needed (with the right truck).
Open space inside. More room more furniture and sleeping options and open concept
Ability to drop the ramp, use as a deck and have the camper โ€œopenโ€ to the outdoors with the canvas/screen door on the back.
Copious room to bring whatever is wanted or needed. If I wanna get kayaks, they just slide in and shut the door.
Built in generator (wasnโ€™t a must for us but handy and helps with resale) runs on gasoline from a 30gal on board gas tank. No propane sucking lower output generator.
CCC is huge compared to most/all TTs. May not use it,but the initial benefit is a chassis and axles/wheels that are comparatively heavier duty than the same size TT. 16โ€ wheels standard on a 31โ€™ long unit. TTs this size are all 15โ€ wheels and lighter axles and frames.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
gbopp wrote:
Condition is the most important factor in a used RV.
Regardless of the make, the unit in the best condition will sell the quickest and for the best price.

This. When I shopped this year (happened to be for a TH but applicable to all types), I basically dismissed any units that showed signs of being stored in the elements all year and those that showed signs of a lot of use. Save for a couple local ones that were quick to go look at. And they were not great, as I expected.
Also if concerned about resale value, buying used will generally have less depreciation a couple years from now than buying new.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lantley wrote:
Which type has the greatest demand in the new market. Itwuld seem to me TT's are more desirable in the new market simply because they appeal to a broader audience vs. a Toy haulrer that appeals only to those yat haul something.
I imagine there are regions where toyhaulers are very desirable because they are near popular places to ride, but overall TT's are more in demand because they fit the needs of all vs. just those with toys.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Condition is the most important factor in a used RV.
Regardless of the make, the unit in the best condition will sell the quickest and for the best price.