cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best sealant for Fantastic Fan and Skylight install?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace the skylight in my bathroom.

1. What is the best method/procedures to remove old light and install new one?

2. What is best sealant to use underflange and on top of flange?

Vents....

Are standard vents adequate if a Max Air cover is used over them? Do most of you revert to installing fantastic fans?

How about to install procedures and sealants for fantastic fans? I have 3 vents...one in living/kitchen area, one in bathroom, and one in upstairs room.

Thanks
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
7 REPLIES 7

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Baja Man wrote:
Cummins....I did not want to have to remove caulking and screws to install a cover (if I simply add a cover). If I install a fantastic fan then I will definetly consider a fantastic cover as well.

All you do is remove 4 screws and put a small amount of sealant into the screw holes and then install. Very clean and simple installation compared to the others that require frilling the frame for the mounting clips.

I was doing a complete re seal at the time of the new covers.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer not using Eternabond on things that need replacing periodically because it is so difficult to remove.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
therink wrote:
Definitely butyl tape on underside flange of outer skylight shell and dicor self leveling caulk or Eternabond tape around entire topside of flange.
Removal of old requires careful removal of old self leveling caulk. I would use a heat gun and plastic scraper. If using utility knife to score old caulk don't cut into the roof membrane.

Thanks Steve--

on my list of supplies.....self leveling Dicor caulk and butyl tape.

It would appear that self leveling caulk would be better than Eternabond tape as it is able to seep into areas for better coverage while the tape can not. Am I missing something?
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins....I did not want to have to remove caulking and screws to install a cover (if I simply add a cover). If I install a fantastic fan then I will definetly consider a fantastic cover as well.
Equal-i-zer 10K

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
For fan covers FantasticVent are by far the best on the market, I have used the others.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely butyl tape on underside flange of outer skylight shell and dicor self leveling caulk or Eternabond tape around entire topside of flange.
Removal of old requires careful removal of old self leveling caulk. I would use a heat gun and plastic scraper. If using utility knife to score old caulk don't cut into the roof membrane.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

SH
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:
I need to replace the skylight in my bathroom.

1. What is the best method/procedures to remove old light and install new one?

Most skylights are in two parts...outer shell and inner shell. If you are replacing just the outer shell simply remove the molding, clean the area, apply new butyl putty, replace the molding, and I would cover the edge with Eternabond tape. Not saying this is the best method...just what I would and did do with ours.

2. What is best sealant to use underflange and on top of flange?

Not sure what you mean regarding "flange." Many good sealants available. Make sure it is compatible with your roof material (EPDM/TPO) and avoid silicone. I have had good luck with a sealant made by ChemLink M1. Other popular sealants for roof work are made by Dicor and ProFlex.

Vents....

Are standard vents adequate if a Max Air cover is used over them? Do most of you revert to installing fantastic fans?

Adequate is relative to your needs. The Fantastic Fans work very well and can remove air or bring it in to your rig. If you don't require the moving air, the vent will work OK!

How about to install procedures and sealants for fantastic fans? I have 3 vents...one in living/kitchen area, one in bathroom, and one in upstairs room.

Same products as above if working on the roof. Other areas I prefer to use a good polyurethane or tri-polymer sealant.

Thanks
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo 🙂