cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Height of bedrails for 2015 Dodge Ram 2500

Showme_5vr
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at buying a new 2015 Dodge Ram 2500 and I broke out the tape measure. The bed is 3 inches taller than my 2007. Has anyone had problems with bedrail clearance or keeping your 5th wheel level. What did you do to fix the problem?
Thanks in advance.
Steve & Judy 2023 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Crew Cab LWB, 2017 Grand Design Reflections 337RLS
Lifetime Good Sam Member
5 REPLIES 5

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My 15 3500 Dually with rear air with the load on maintains 55" to top of bed at the tailgate.

Thats 4.5 inches less then mine, but thats with mine unloaded, with the fifth wheel I'm right at 56.5. That dually has to be pretty close to the SRW unloaded or is it getting pushed back up with the air bags ?? . If not it would be great if the SRW were down around 55-56 unloaded, It would sure solve a lot of leveling problems with these new trucks.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 15 3500 Dually with rear air with the load on maintains 55" to top of bed at the tailgate.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
You need to look at how much your pin box can be moved up and what bed rail clearance you will have.

I moved my pin box all the way up and flipped my axles and went to 16 inch tires for a lift of about 6 inches.

Level the rig while un hitched and measure from the pin plate to the ground. With the rig hitched up measure the squatted height of the hitch plate. That's the amount needed in lift. You can get a little lift by moving the springs down if your spring brackets have extra holes. You can get an inch and a half or so with an axle alignment kit. Some choose to have a sub frame built between the rigs frame and the suspension components for about 1 and a half to 4 inches, it just depends on what size tube is used for the sub frame.

If you measure the radius of your axle, the thickness of the perch that's welded to the axle and the thickness of your spring pack you will know how much lift an axle or spring flip will give you.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Rear air ride? Should get a 3500 SRW anyway.

Not what he asked.

Heres your answer, I have a 2014 Ram 3500, and yes mine sits too high for my liking . I have done everything I can except raise the fifth wheel . Hitch is as low as I can go ,and pin box is as high as I can go ,and still have adequate clearance on the bed rails. Its the nature of the beast on these new trucks. I am 59.5 to the top my tailgate, and thats about three inches taller then my previous Ford Superduty F350

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rear air ride? Should get a 3500 SRW anyway.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021